Here are 45+ recipe ideas for all that fresh produce you bought at the Farmers’ Market! When the markets are full of fresh produce, baking and cooking is easier than ever.
My absolute favourite part of summer is being able to access loads of locally grown produce. There is nothing like being able to eat veggies and fruit straight from the garden or orchard…the taste alone is worth waiting for. It’s like you can taste the sunshine in them. Over the course of the summer months, and into the fall, we will visit our local farmers markets many times and stock up on as much seasonal produce as we can. I buy bags full of fresh potatoes, carrots, beets, swiss chard, herbs, fruit, tomatoes, peppers, beans, onions…I could go on and on.
Don’t Let Your Farmers’ Market Produce Go To Waste!
The challenge for me then becomes making sure I don’t let any of it go to waste. It feels terrible to look in the crisper and see wilted and rotten produce. Over the years I have gotten better at not letting this happen by making sure I serve tonnes of veggies at dinner, or bake pies or make jam with ripe fruit, and I’ll freeze or dry whatever I can. But waste happens. So I try really hard to make sure I use up as much as I can.
So much produce, so many delicious possibilities!
Where I find the most joy with all this produce at my fingertips, is being able to create new dishes and serve up family favourite recipes. I find that I go back to many of the same recipes every summer, which I look forward to, so I thought I would share them with you as well! These are dishes and desserts that I will make many times over the summer, things like pies, cakes, skillets, salads…you name it. I hope you can find something delicious to make with all of your farmers market goodies too!
45+ Farmers’ Market Recipe Ideas
Fresh carrots are the best eaten raw right from the garden, don’t you think? There’s no flavour like a summer carrot. Carrots are a staple vegetable around here that appear at many dinners, and I use them in a lot of other dishes too. Here are some recipe ideas:
- Glazed carrots
- One Pot Roasted Chicken and Root Vegetables
- Carrot Cake Cookies
- Hearty Banana, Apple & Carrot Muffins
- Layered Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Carrot Cake Pancakes with Cream Cheese Drizzle
- Dill Carrot Pickles (my Mom’s recipe)
- Classic Creamy Coleslaw with Carrots
- Wondering what to do with the carrot tops? Make Carrot Top Pesto!
Beets are SO delicious…I often wonder why don’t people love them more! We enjoy them roasted with butter and salt & pepper, but there are more great ways to enjoy beets. Here are some recipe ideas:
- Strawberry Beet salad
- Oven Roasted Beets
- Crockpot Borscht
- Chocolate Beet Cupcakes
- Kasha, Beet & Dill Salad
- One of my favourite ways to enjoy swiss chard is to saute it with butter. I just melt about 2 tbsp of butter in a frying pan, add a large bunch of chard and about 1 tbsp or so of water and saute over medium heat.
- Swiss Chard is also a great substitute for spinach in recipes.
- Ground Chicken Bake with Spinach or Swiss Chard
Zucchini is probably my most favourite summer crop, and I use it in SO many recipes because of it’s versatility. My most favourite is likely this Zucchini, Cheddar Cheese & Chive Buttermilk Quick Bread. Here are more great zucchini recipes:
- Zucchini Bake
- Airfryer Zucchini Fries
- Zucchini Skillet
- Zucchini Fritters
- Zoodle Noodle Spaghetti Bowl
- Tomato, Basil & Zucchini Goat Cheese Tart
- Zucchini Pancakes
- Zucchini Muffins
- Zucchini Cheddar Biscuits
- Zucchini Loaf/Bread
- Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- Carrot Zucchini Apple Bread
There are no potatoes quite like garden fresh potatoes, which I think are best boiled and served with butter and fresh dill. Mmmm. Here are more of our favourite potato recipes:
- Champ, which is basically potatoes mashed with cream and chives
- Oven Roasted Potatoes with Herbs
- Dilled Scalloped Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Baked Potato Soup
- Home Fries
- Accordion Potatoes
- Roasted Potato Salad
- Classic Potato Salad
- Potato Fritatta
- Loaded Potato Crisps
- Sweet Potato Latkes
SO many varieties of peppers, so many possibilities! Peppers are a delicious addition to soups, stews, salads and many dinner recipes!
- Pickled Banana Peppers are a simple and delicious way to preserve this pepper!
Oh garden fresh green beans, how do I love thee? Lightly steamed and served with a little butter, seriously so good.
- This is another great way to enjoy this versatile vegetable: Sauteed Green Beans with Fresh Basil & Tomatoes
- Or lightly steam the beans and add them to green salads.
Summer tomatoes are where it’s at though. The flavour of them during this time of year is unbeatable…they do in fact taste like the sun and summer breeze. Sweet and delicious. I love to add them to salads, serve them up as snacks, toss them in sauces and soups. Here are some of my favourite tomato recipes:
- Tomato Basil Bruschetta
- Homemade Fresh Tomato Spaghetti Sauce
- Roasted Tomato Pasta
- Bruschetta Pasta Salad
- Fresh Tomato Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Basil & Corn Cakes with Fresh Tomato Salsa
- Fresh Tomato & Mango Salsa
- Easy Caprese Salad
- Creamy Tomato & Basil Shrimp Pasta
- Homemade Salsa (my Mom’s recipe)
- Roasted Tomato and Pumpkin Soup
- If you have loads of onion greens and onions, freeze them! I will chop up white or purple onions then put them into a ziplock bag and put it in the freezer. It’s really handy to have ready-to-use onions!
- You can do the same with the greens of onions.
- Make French Onion Soup!
- This recipe for Festive Onion Casserole is a great recipe for farm fresh onions.
- Roasted Squash is one of the easiest ways to use up squash! You can then eat it as a side dish, or puree it and add it to other recipes.
- How to Roast Acorn Squash
- One Pot Roasted Chicken Dinner with Roasted Squash
- Roasted Pork with Brown Sugar & Rosemary Roasted Butternut Squash & Apples
- Cheesy Butternut Squash Pasta Bake
- Creamy Butternut Squash Spaghetti
- Roasted Brown Sugar & Rosemary Squash Wedges
- Easy Pumpkin Soup
- Braided Pumpkin Bread
- Classic Pumpkin Pie
- 16+ Pumpkin Recipes to Try
- Simple Green Salad
- Salad Dressings:
- Easy Corn Chowder
- Creamy Corn Bisque
- Corn on the Cob with Cilantro Lime Butter
- Basil Butter Roasted Corn on the Cob
Fresh Summer Fruit
You just can’t beat all the fresh fruit available in the summer! Eat it as is, throw it in smoothies, bake with it…endless deliciousness. Here are some ideas to get you cooking and baking:
- Apricot Peach Pie
- Summer Peach Pie
- Sour Cherry Pie
- Easy Peach Jam
- Peach Cobbler
- Apple Pie
- Apple Bundt Cake
- Raspberry Galette
- Peach Raspberry Crisp
- Strawberry Rhubarb Bundt Cake
- Slow Cooker Pear Sauce
- Blueberry Hand Pies
- Blueberry Cobbler
- Easy Blueberry Jam
- 11+ Apple Recipes
- 8+ Peach Recipes
I hope you now feel inspired to visit your farmers market and stock up on produce! Yum.
Have a delicious day!