So has everyone settled in nicely with the back to school and work routine? I always find September to be such an adjustment for everyone…the kids are adjusting to new classes, all of the extra curricular activities have started up and the homework routine has begun. This means everyone is tired, including me. So dinner time can be a challenge because we’re struggling with routine and we’re all strapped for time, but dinner doesn’t have to be a stress!
Have no fear, I’m here to help you with dinner! I’ve got a tonne of recipes that can be made in less than one hour, and so does Chicken.ca (I use this resource A LOT). And today I’m sharing one of my tried and true, go-to dinner recipes. Easy Chicken Stroganoff. This is one of those dinners that I go to when it’s 4:00 in the afternoon and I’m stressing because I don’t know what to make for dinner. I almost always have the ingredients on hand, so this dish makes an appearance quite often around here. It’s easy and quick to put together, it’s healthy and kids love it! And if mushrooms aren’t you or your kids thing, you can just leave them out, or replace them with a favourite vegetable like green beans or broccoli.
You can get this dinner on your table in less than 1 hour! It’s creamy, comforting and so delicious. What’s not to love about that?Print
- 4 boneless (skinless chicken breasts cut into bite sized chunks)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 2 cups mushrooms (sliced)
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 can consomme
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 cups cooked egg noodles
- In a sauce pan brown the onions and mushrooms in butter, until soft and the liquid has disappeared.
- Then stir the flour into the onion/mushroom mix and cook for about 1 minute.
- Stir in the ketchup and consomme, and cook until the sauce is thick.
- Add the sour cream and mix well. Set aside while you cook the chicken.
- In a separate frying pan, cook the chicken in a tablespoon of olive oil, and season with salt & pepper. Cook until the chicken is no longer pink in the middle.
- While the chicken is cooking, cook the egg noodles according to the package directions.
- Once the chicken is cooked, add it to the sauce and simmer for about 5 – 10 minutes.
- Place the cooked egg noodles in a baking dish, then pour the chicken/sauce over noodles.
- At this point you can put the dish in the oven at 300 degrees until it is time to eat (no longer than 15 – 20 minutes).
– – –
Serve it up with a side salad or green veggie and dinner is served! And here’s a tip too – this recipe makes a large portion so we often pack it in the kids lunches the next day! I love double duty dinners!
If you’re looking for other great dinner ideas when you have a time crunch try my Sweet Chili Chicken or White Chicken Chili. Chicken.ca has quick dinner ideas too like Autumn Chicken & Apple Stew, Chicken Fingers & Plum Sauce or a Bright & Zippy Chicken Stir-Fry. Just remember that dinner doesn’t have to be complicated or take long to make! If you’ve got an hour you’ve got time to put a healthy and delicious meal on the table!
Have a delicious day!
Disclosure: I am participating in the Chicken Farmers of Canada campaign managed by SJ Consulting. I received compensation in exchange for my participation in this campaign. The opinions on this blog are my own.