This classic Simple Roast Chicken Recipe is no-fuss, quick and delicious. The chicken is juicy, flavourful and so good.
Hey what’s for dinner you ask? Whole Roast Chicken is always a favourite! This juicy chicken can be ready for dinner in about 2 hours, making it a perfect recipe for any day of the week.
A great thing about making a roasted chicken is that you can use the leftovers to make more meals! If you have leftover chicken add it to soups, tacos, casseroles, sandwiches and more. Another great option is to use the leftover chicken carcass to make homemade chicken stock, which is SO easy and delicious.
Perfect Roast Chicken Recipe Tips
- CHICKEN: You can use any size of whole chicken. You will need about 20 minutes of cooking time per pound. For this recipe I usually use a 4 – 5 pound chicken. If you have a smaller chicken it will take less time to roast, and if you have a larger chicken it will take more time. A 3 lb chicken will take about 1 hour, a 4-5 lb chicken will take about 2 hours.
- PREPARING THE CHICKEN FOR BAKING: I like to tuck back the wings, then tie up the legs with kitchen twine before baking. You don’t have to, but this does help with keeping the chicken moist.
- WHEN IS THE CHICKEN DONE? The chicken is done when the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F (use a meat thermometer to check).
- SEASONINGS: Use any of your favourite seasonings and spices for this recipe. We like the classic flavours of poultry seasonings like rosemary, sage and thyme (I prefer to use dried herbs but you can also use fresh herbs: 1 tsp dried = 1 tbsp fresh). And make sure to generously season with salt and pepper.
- OIL: I like to use olive oil to baste the chicken, but you can also use vegetable oil or melted butter. Using an oil of some kind results in delicious crispy skin!
- BAKING PAN: You can use a roasting pan, enamel baking dish, cast iron skillet or even a baking sheet.
- LEFTOVERS: Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Use them to add to soups, casseroles, make sandwiches and more.
Easy Chicken Dinner Menu Ideas
If you have pan juices on the bottom of the pan after roasting, use them to make this delicious, homemade gravy! The great thing about this recipe is that you can actually make gravy with very little pan drippings, or even none, just use chicken stock.
More Chicken Recipes
Recipes for all of your favourites, including roast chicken, casseroles, chili, one-pot recipes, sheet pan recipes, soups, stews, dips, salads, air fryer and more!
This really is the best roast chicken recipe…I hope you love it as much as we do! Have a delicious day!