– – – – – – – – – –
Today my thermometer read -31.1! It is so cold here, and I don’t want to do anything but bake. So today I am going to use up the unappetizing pile of brownish bananas on my counter. I have tried many a banana bread/muffin recipe, and trust me these should be easy to make, I mean they are a North American staple, but I have made terrible, and I mean terrible banana bread. Tasting like fish kind of banana bread. Really.
But rejoice! I have found the banana muffin recipe. No fail, always yummy, so easy to make. I have adapted it from the Best of Bridge cookbook series, and made it my own, with a couple of changes. One being, removing the nutmeg (I hate nutmeg), and instead I used cinnamon. Also I have put in a yum-yummy centre of Nutella goodness. So good! Try these – you will love them I promise!
The Best Ever Banana Muffin
- Yield: 12 muffins 1x
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (no more than 1 cup)
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda (dissolved in 2 tsp hot water)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Nutella (optional)
- Cream together margarine and sugar.
- Add eggs one at a time, then mashed bananas.
- Add baking soda/water mix and the vanilla, then combine.
- Mix flour and cinnamon in a separate bowl, then add to banana mix and combine.
Make the muffins, one of two ways:
- If you want a Nutella centre, fill your muffin cups about a 1/4 full, then add about a teaspoon of Nutella into the centre. Top off the muffin cup with more batter, to make the muffin cups about 1/2 full in total.
- Or if you just want regular banana muffins, fill the muffin cup about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
These muffins are delicious with the Nutella centre, but you don’t have to add it either. I actually prefer just a plain old delicious banana muffin. These are a great snack for the kids lunches too!