My Mom’s Oatmeal Muffins are a delicious and nutritious muffin! One of my family’s favourite recipes!
If there is one muffin recipe that I could make and eat over and over it would be this recipe for my Mom’s Oatmeal Muffins. In fact, I make a batch of these at least once a month, sometimes more. I first had these muffins when I was a kid and my Mom would make them for us, so they’re basically comfort food for me. Now I make them for my own family…family recipes really are the best. I hope they become a part of your family too.
Simple + quick!
This recipe is very uncomplicated and only takes a few minutes to assemble, which means that within about a half hour you can have a batch of freshly baked muffins ready to enjoy. Love that. But mostly I just really love how delicious they are…they’re tender with a yummy oat-y texture! Oh, and did I also mention they’re healthy muffins? Even better.
Oatmeal Muffin Recipe Tips:
- OATS: Use quick oats or rolled oats for this recipe (not instant oats).
- BUTTERMILK: These are best made with buttermilk, but if you don’t have any on hand you can try this buttermilk substitute or use 1/2 cup sour cream and 1/2 cup milk.
- OIL: Vegetable or canola oil. You can use melted butter as well. I have also used melted coconut oil which is good, but it definitely adds a coconut flavour to the muffins.
- FLOUR: For extra nutrition you can use 1/3 cup whole wheat flour and 2/3 cup white flour, or half and half.
- VARIATIONS: You can add 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, or 1/2 cup chocolate chips, raisins or blueberries.
- STORAGE: Store these muffins in an airtight container on the counter at room temperature. Tip! If you want warm muffins, I like to put them in the microwave for about 10 seconds.
- FREEZING: These muffins freeze well. Store in an airtight container or ziplock bag in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Mom’s Oatmeal Muffins
My Mom’s Oatmeal Muffins are a delicious and nutritious muffin! One of my family’s favourite recipes.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 12 – 16 muffins 1x
- Category: Muffins
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup oil (vegetable or canola)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg (lightly beaten)
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a muffin tin with 12 paper liners.
- Stir together the oats and buttermilk, and let sit for about 5 minutes.
- In a separate large bowl whisk together the flour, salt, soda and baking powder.
- In another bowl combine the oil, egg and brown sugar. Then add this to the oat mix.
- Then combine the oat mixture with the flour mixture.
- Scoop the batter evenly between 12 muffin cups for 12 large muffins, or you if you want smaller muffins, spread the batter between 16 muffin cups.
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Let the muffins cool in the muffin pan for about 5 minutes, then remove and let fully cool on a wire rack.
Keywords: oatmeal muffins
I hope you enjoy this tasty and healthy muffin recipe. Have a delicious day!