This Zucchini, Cheddar Cheese & Chive Buttermilk Quick Bread is a great addition to your dinner table! In about 1 hour you can have fresh baked bread to serve alongside your soups, stews or casseroles.
Zucchini, zucchini, zucchini. It’s everywhere. So what to do with it all? Have no fear, I’ve been cooking and baking with it pretty much non-stop over the last week, so I’ve got plenty of delicious ideas for you! Our crazy busy summer got me inspired to hunker down in my kitchen and get cooking and baking again. I feel very inspired right now which feels so good, and it’s good news for you too…this means more recipes for you!
I actually couldn’t wait to share this Zucchini, Cheddar Cheese & Chive Buttermilk Quick Bread recipe with you. It’s the kind of recipe that makes you just want to bake it and eat it…with slabs of butter…or dipped in soup. This quick bread should be on your baking list this fall & winter. I know it will be on ours more than once!
About Buttermilk Quick Breads
Buttermilk quick breads are a great way to serve freshly baked bread for your family. I love them because they require NO kneading, NO rising and really NO fuss. Just stir together some simple ingredients, bake it for an hour and you’ve got fresh bread ready to devour. So far I’ve made Cheddar & Dill Buttermilk Quick Bread, Mozzarella & Parmesan Buttermilk Quick Bread, and now this new and delicious version using the bountiful summer vegetable, the zucchini. Since zucchini has such a mild flavour, I decided to add a sharp cheese and fresh chives to make sure the flavours were strong, and it turned out beautifully!
Make this quick bread and have it on your table in just over an hour! Is there any better smell or cozy feeling than bread baked in your own oven? The kind that you can serve warm with butter…I think not. I hope you enjoy this recipe! 😉
Zucchini, Cheddar Cheese & Chive Buttermilk Quick Bread Recipe Tips
- ** Edited to Add: Some readers have mentioned that their loaves took a really long time to bake, and I think this may be due to the zucchini being ‘wet’ after being grated. So you may wish to squeeze out the excess juice, using a tea towel, before adding it to the batter. I have made a few of these loaves and haven’t experienced this problem, but I wanted to add this note for you. **
- I like to line my baking tin with parchment paper so I can lift the loaf out once it’s done cooling.
- This bread freezes well.
- Use a flavourful cheese for this bread…the more flavour it has, the more flavour the bread will have. Opt for sharp or old cheddar cheeses.
Zucchini, Cheddar Cheese & Chive Buttermilk Quick Bread
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese use an Old Cheddar
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and egg.
- Whisk the melted butter into the buttermilk mixture.
- Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mix, and gently combine. Don't over mix the batter.
- Stir in the shredded cheese, shredded zucchini and chopped chives.
- Line a 9 x 5 baking tin with parchment paper and bake for 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the bread comes out clean.
Looking for more zucchini recipes? Here are some great ones to try:
- Zucchini Bake
- Zucchini Skillet
- Zucchini Fritters
- Tomato, Basil & Zucchini Goat Cheese Tart
- Zucchini Pancakes
- Zucchini Muffins
- Zucchini Loaf/Bread
- Chocolate Zucchini Cake
Love Quick Bread Recipes? Here are more great ones!
– – – – – –
Have a delicious day!