I love broccoli, but the rest of my family isn’t so sure about it. But I still make this salad, because it is soooo good, and the adult guests always seem to love it. It’s worth making.
This past weekend we had an Early Christmas celebration with my family, as we are going in different geographical directions this year. So I made this salad for our lunch, and served it with baked ham, buns, and cheese puffs. A great menu for Christmas Day or Boxing Day lunch!
Broccoli Mandarin Salad
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar (See tips below.)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 4 cups broccoli (cut in bite size pieces)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 8 slices cooked and chopped bacon
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 mandarin oranges (peeled and separated)
- 1/2 red onion (thinly sliced)
Make the dressing first:
- In a saucepan, whisk eggs, sugar, cornstarch and mustard.
- Add vinegar and water and cook slowly until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in mayonnaise. Cool slightly.
Making the salad:
- Toss the dressing and the broccoli together, then refrigerate for a few hours, to marinate.
- When you are ready to serve the salad, toss in the remaining ingredients.
Recipe from the Best of Bridge
- If you don’t have white wine vinegar, you can use white balsamic vinegar. Or regular white vinegar: if you are using regular white vinegar, just dilute it a tiny bit with water, and add a bit of sugar. Works perfectly!