These Homemade Chicken Fingers are crispy and tender! Made with simple ingredients from your pantry, you can have these on the table in no time.
Chicken fingers are always a welcome dinner, my kids love them! Especially when they’re homemade. Homemade chicken fingers are so easy to make…easier than you might think, and definitely worth the effort!
Today was one of those days that I just couldn’t seem to come up with an idea for dinner. I scoured my cookbooks and recipe cards, all to no avail. I raided my freezer and my pantry more than once, just to make sure something delicious and ready to eat wasn’t hiding in there. There wasn’t. But I had panko crumbs, parmesan cheese, frozen chicken, buttermilk, and a bag of sprouting potatoes. Doesn’t sound too appetizing does it? But suddenly I saw the makings of a dinner! Chicken strips and fries it was!
These chicken fingers are tender and full of flavour! I used panko crumbs to make them which gives them a nice crunch…and the addition of parmesan cheese and seasoning salt makes them SO tasty. Serve them with home fries, and dipping sauces like ketchup, ranch dressing and sweet chili sauce.
Homemade Chicken Fingers Recipe Tips:
- You can use different ingredients for the crust, like crushed crackers, bread crumbs, crushed cornflakes, or panko crumbs to coat these chicken fingers.
- I find it easiest to cut the chicken into strips when the chicken is slightly frozen…it just seems to cut nicer.
- If you don’t have buttermilk, you can easily make your own for this recipe. Measure out 1 cup of milk minus 1 tablespoon, then add 1 tbsp of lemon juice or white vinegar, mix well and let sit for 5-10 minutes, stirring a couple of times.
Homemade Chicken Fingers
These Homemade Chicken Fingers are crispy and tender! Made with simple ingredients from your pantry, you can have these on the table in no time!
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- 5 chicken breasts
- 1 cup buttermilk (enough to cover the chicken)
- 2 cups crushed crackers (or bread crumbs, or cornflakes, or panko crumbs)
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- seasoning salt
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Lightly oil a baking sheet.
- Slice the chicken into strips, and marinate in buttermilk for at least 30 minutes, and up to 24 hours (the buttermilk makes the most unbelievably moist chicken ever!)
- In a ziplock bag crush the crackers (or whatever you are using), until fairly fine, then add parmesan. You can use a rolling pin to do this.
- Transfer dry mix to a shallow dish or plate.
- Dredge your chicken in the crunchy mixture until well coated.
- Lay the chicken fingers out on the baking sheet. Season with seasoning salt and pepper.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, turning them halfway through.
Keywords: homemade chicken fingers
What to Serve with Homemade Chicken Fingers:
Side Note: I updated this post with new pictures…this was one of the first pictures I ever put on my blog (December 2010)….I am not proud of this picture hahaha! But at the time it was all I could muster, what with a crying baby, meowing cat, cranky children and thus a late dinner. Oh, and also because I hadn’t been ‘allowed’ to sleep past 5:00am for the past 3 days. But I wasn’t not cranky about it. 😉 It’s fun to look back at how things have changed!
Yum! Have a delicious day!