This Carrot Cake Sheet Cake Recipe with a Cream Cheese Frosting is tender, sweet and so delicious! This recipe is made with less oil than many other carrot cake recipes.
Carrot cake is one of my most favourite types of cakes. What’s not to love about a moist spice cake packed with nutritious shredded carrots, and smothered in creamy cream cheese frosting?! But one thing I don’t love about some carrot cake recipes, is how full of oil they are…I can taste it, and just don’t like the flavour. But not this recipe! In fact, there is barely any oil in it at all, only 1/4 cup and the rest is applesauce.
CAKE TYPE: This makes a 9 x 13 sheet cake.
EASE: So simple to make!
PROS: Recipe uses a small amount of oil.
DELICIOUS: SO moist and flavourful!
This particular cake recipe replaces most of the oil with applesauce. There are two big reasons I love this so much…one, I don’t taste the oil, and two, this cake is more nutritious with less oil, and with the addition of unsweetened applesauce. Win, win. Oh, and the applesauce definitely makes this cake so so moist.
Sheet Cakes are the easiest cakes to make!
I also love that this carrot cake is baked as a sheet cake. Sheet cakes are one of my most favourite ways to bake cakes because they’re easy to ice, they’re great for birthday parties and they are easy to transport to pot luck dinners. I have few favourite sheet cake recipes here on my site that you might like as well: Chocolate, Banana, Raisin Oatmeal, and Hummingbird Sheet Cake (the banana one is to-die for).
Top it with Cream Cheese Frosting!
To top this carrot sheet cake, I made a cream cheese frosting, because all carrot cakes need cream cheese frosting don’t they? Yes. Yes they do.
Creamy, sweet, smooth cream cheese frosting.
Top it off with coconut!
After the cake has baked and cooled, you can either serve the cake as is with the cream cheese frosting…or you can add some sweetened shredded coconut to top it off. It looks pretty, but it also add a nice little coconut flavour.
Love raisins or nuts?
Delicious and so pretty! My family loves the addition of the coconut. Speaking of additions, if you like raisins or chopped pecans, feel free to add them to this cake recipe (see recipe notes)!
A carrot cake perfect for Easter.
Carrot Cake Sheet Cake Recipe Tips:
- Carrots: I prefer to peel the carrots before grating them. I just use a cheese grater to grate. You can also use a food processor.
- Applesauce: You can use store bought unsweetened applesauce, or you can make your own homemade apple sauce. I made my own with 3 medium sized apples, and mashed it down until it was nice and smooth.
- If you like pecans or raisins in your carrot cake, feel free to add a 1/2 cup of either to the cake batter before baking.
- Make sure the cake has cooled completely before frosting, or the frosting will melt.
- Make Ahead Tip: This cake tastes even better served the next day!
- Storage: Store this cake on the counter in an airtight container for up to 3 days. You can also keep it in the fridge if you’re more comfortable with that.
- Freezing: This cake freezes well. Place the cake in an airtight container WITHOUT the frosting added, then keep in the freezer for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to serve it, bring the cake up to room temperature then add the frosting.
Recipe adapted from allrecipes.com
More delicious carrot cake recipes to try!
PIN IT to make later!
Have a delicious day!