Let your bread machine do all the mixing and kneading for these Homemade Whole Wheat Buns! Then shape the dough into buns and bake them in your oven. A quick and super easy way to have fresh baked buns.
I love my bread machine! It does all the work of mixing and kneading the dough, then I get the fun part of shaping it. The bread tastes delicious and just like what Grandma used to make.
Bread Machines are the best!
I feel like there’s a bit of a stigma around bread machines…some old school bread bakers kind of frown upon them, but I think they’re great! I’ve been using the same bread maker for 20 (!) years and every time I use it, I LOVE the bread it makes. Admittedly though, I don’t like the shape of the baked bread that comes right out of the bread machine, so I always shape my dough into buns or loaves and bake them in my oven.
One of my favourite breads to make are homemade buns. There’s just nothing like the taste of homemade buns for sandwiches and burgers….yum! And they’re SO easy too. In about 2 1/2 hours you can have warm buns for dinner.
Make Tray Buns or Burger Buns
This recipe makes 12 tray buns, which are perfect for dinner and sandwiches. If you want burger buns, don’t bake them in an 8 x 8 pan…if you place them far apart on a baking sheet, the dough will spread into more of a hamburger bun shape.
Homemade Whole Wheat Buns Recipe Tips:
- You can use all whole wheat flour in this recipe.
- I always keep a bag of skim milk powder in the freezer for bread baking.
- If you don’t have skim milk powder, feel free to use room temperature milk…just omit the water and the skim milk powder, and instead use 1 1/4 cup milk.
- To make these buns like tray buns, use an 8 x 8 baking pan.
- You don’t have to bake these buns in a baking pan. You can also bake them on a baking sheet (spread the dough balls fare apart)…this will give you buns that are shaped more like a hamburger bun instead of tray buns.
- If you want fresh buns ready for dinner (say 5:30), start this process around 2:30 in the afternoon.
I hope you enjoy this recipe…these buns are really really delicious! Tender, moist and slightly sweet.Print
More Delicious Bread Machine Recipes:
Have a delicious day!