Let your bread machine do all the mixing and kneading for these Homemade Whole Wheat Buns! Then shape the dough into buns and bake them in your oven. A quick and super easy way to have fresh baked buns.
I love my bread machine! It does all the work of mixing and kneading the dough, then I get the fun part of shaping it. The bread tastes delicious and just like what Grandma used to make.
Bread Machines are the best!
I feel like there’s a bit of a stigma around bread machines…some old school bread bakers kind of frown upon them, but I think they’re great! I’ve been using the same bread maker for 20 (!) years and every time I use it, I LOVE the bread it makes. Admittedly though, I don’t like the shape of the baked bread that comes right out of the bread machine, so I always shape my dough into buns or loaves and bake them in my oven.
One of my favourite breads to make are homemade buns. There’s just nothing like the taste of homemade buns for sandwiches and burgers….yum! And they’re SO easy too. In about 2 1/2 hours you can have warm buns for dinner.
Make Tray Buns or Burger Buns
This recipe makes 12 tray buns, which are perfect for dinner and sandwiches. If you want burger buns, don’t bake them in an 8 x 8 pan…if you place them far apart on a baking sheet, the dough will spread into more of a hamburger bun shape.
Homemade Whole Wheat Buns Recipe Tips:
- You can use all whole wheat flour in this recipe.
- I always keep a bag of skim milk powder in the freezer for bread baking.
- If you don’t have skim milk powder, feel free to use room temperature milk…just omit the water and the skim milk powder, and instead use 1 1/4 cup milk.
- To make these buns like tray buns, use an 8 x 8 baking pan.
- You don’t have to bake these buns in a baking pan. You can also bake them on a baking sheet (spread the dough balls fare apart)…this will give you buns that are shaped more like a hamburger bun instead of tray buns.
- If you want fresh buns ready for dinner (say 5:30), start this process around 2:30 in the afternoon.
I hope you enjoy this recipe…these buns are really really delicious! Tender, moist and slightly sweet.
Homemade Whole Wheat Buns
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup skim milk powder see tips
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp packed brown sugar
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 tsp bread machine or instant yeast
- Measure all of the ingredients above, in the order they are listed, into your bread machine.
- Choose the Dough Cycle.
- Once the dough cycle has completed, remove the dough to a lightly floured surface and cover with a clean tea towel. Let rise for 15 minutes.
- After this time, divide the dough into 12 portions.
- Now it's time to shape the dough into buns.
- Make sure your hands are lightly floured.
- Shape each portion of dough into a ball.
- You want the tops of the buns to be taut, so while keeping the dough in a ball shape, you need to tuck the dough at the bottom of each bun, underneath as you roll. You'll get the hang of it as you roll them!
- Grease an 8 x 8 baking pan with oil.
- Then place the buns into the baking pan, in 3 rows of 4, spacing them out evenly.
- Cover with a clean tea towel and let rest and rise in a warm place for 1 hour, or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- When the buns are done rising, bake for 25 minutes. When the bread is done, it will sound hollow when you tap on it.
- As soon as you take the buns out of the oven, brush the tops with butter.
- Let the buns rest in the pan for about 20 minutes, then remove to a plate.
More Delicious Bread Machine Recipes:
Have a delicious day!