This delicious Braided Pumpkin Bread is easy to make, because you can make the dough in your bread machine! It is perfect served alongside soups and stews!
Is there any better smell than that of baking bread? Or any better eating experience than having a slice of freshly baked bread slathered in butter? I think not. I love bread. And one of my most favourite bread recipes is this Braided Pumpkin Bread. It is seriously delicious…moist and slightly sweet which makes it perfect served alongside soups and chili.
About this Bread:
This bread has 1 cup of fresh pumpkin added to the ingredients, which gives it the orange colour. The pumpkin also adds a little sweetness to the bread. BUT this is not a dessert bread, it’s a dinner bread, and it’s DELICIOUS!
Bread Machines are a fantastic kitchen tool!
If you have a bread machine this Pumpkin Bread is SO easy to make. Use your bread machine to make the dough, then once the dough has risen you shape it yourself, then bake the bread in your oven. So easy and so delicious. And don’t worry about making the bread look beautiful…I realize that mine isn’t perfectly braided, but it doesn’t matter, because you won’t notice how it looks as you’re stuffing it in your mouth. Trust me. 😉
I hope you try this recipe…you won’t be disappointed. And I’m willing to bet you’ll even make it more than once. It’s just too easy and delicious not too!
- Pumpkin: Make sure you use plain, pureed pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling). You can also use pureed butternut squash!
- Shaping: I made this loaf into a braided loaf, but you can also just bake it in an oval or circle shape.
- Water and Butter: It’s best to have the water and butter at room temperature. Cold ingredients do not stimulate yeast growth, so the dough may not rise properly.
- Milk Tip: If you don’t have skim milk powder you can substitute BOTH the water and skim milk powder with 1/2 cup of milk. (so eliminate the water and powder, and use liquid milk instead)
- Prepare your pans: I line my baking sheet with parchment paper, but you can also lightly grease it with vegetable oil.
- Timing: If you want fresh bread in time for dinner (say 5:30), start this process around 2:30 in the afternoon.
- When is the bread done baking? The bread loaf will sound hollow when you tap the top, and the top will be lightly golden brown.
- Freezing: This bread freezes very well. Just make sure to let the bread cool completely before freezing. I like to freeze my bread loaves in plastic bread bags.
- Tip! Don’t try to slice into your bread too soon after baking or you’ll squish it.
Braided Pumpkin Bread
This recipe is meant to be made in a bread machine.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Rising Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 3 hours 5 minutes
- Yield: 1 loaf 1x
- Category: Bread
- Method: Baking
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup canned fresh pumpkin (see notes)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup skim milk powder
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp bread machine yeast
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp water
- Measure all the bread ingredients in the order that they are listed, into the bread machine.
- Select the dough cycle.
- After the dough cycle has completed, remove the dough to a lightly floured surface and cover with a clean tea towel and let rest for 10 – 15 minutes.
- After this time, divide the dough into 3 portions.
- Roll each portion into a long rope, one inch thick.
- Then braid the 3 ropes, sealing each end by pinching the dough together.
- Place the dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Cover with a clean tea towel and let rest and rise in a warm place for 35 – 45 minutes, or until the bread has doubled in size.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In the mean time, mix together the egg yolk and water.
- When the bread is done rising, brush the top of the bread with the egg mixture.
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes. When the bread is done, it will sound hollow when you tap on it.
Tip! You can use any kind of mashed squash that you like. I have used butternut squash as well, and it’s delicious!
Keywords: bread machine bread, pumpkin bread
Recipe adapted from 300 Best Canadian Bread Machine Recipes
PIN IT to make later:
Recipes to make with Leftover Pumpkin Bread:
With any dry left over bread, you can make this delicious Pumpkin Bread Pudding dessert!
Or this Pumpkin Spice French Toast
Or this Pumpkin Pie French Toast Bake
Looking for even more Bread Machine Recipes? You can find my favourites here.
Have a delicious day my friends!