Chili is one of the best dinners around! It’s easy to make, it’s filling, delicious and so versatile! Serve it with homemade cornbread or rice, and dinner is fabulous!
A perfect dinner on a cold winters night, or when camping!
- 8 slices of cooked bacon (chopped)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green or red pepper
- 5 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 – oz 5.5 can tomato paste
- salt & pepper
- 1 1/4 cups red wine (or use beef broth)
- 2 – oz 28 cans whole tomatoes
- 2 – oz 14 cans beans (kidney beans (or chick peas, or brown beans, or corn))
- Brown ground meat with onion, peppers and garlic.
- Add bacon. Drain if necessary.
- Add chili powder, cumin, oregano, sugar, salt, pepper and bay leaves. Cook and stir continually for 1 minute.
- Add wine (or broth), tomatoes and beans.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer covered for 1 hour. Stir occasionally.
- After 1 hour, remove cover and cook for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Remove bay leaves.
Serve with a dollop of sour cream and chopped green onions! And toast. Have to have toast! This chili is even better after it has sat for 1 day in the fridge. It also freezes very well.