A classic recipe for Beef Chili, loaded with beans, spices and loads of delicious flavour! The addition of bacon makes this dish especially tasty! Serve with cornbread, buns, rice or over a baked potato. SO delicious.
This classic chili recipe is a staple in our home and has been served countless times over the years. It’s just one of those classic dinners that everyone loves. It’s hearty, healthy and so versatile!
Big Batch Cooking is Great for Meal Planning!
I especially love this beef chili recipe because it makes a huge batch, so I can serve half for dinner one night, and freeze the rest for later which comes in handy on those weeknights when you don’t know what to make for dinner! It’s also a great recipe option if you’re serving a big crowd of people (feeds 8 – 10).
Bacon Makes Everything Better!
This recipe is loaded with ground beef, spices and beans, but it also has a secret ingredient, bacon! Bacon adds SO much amazing flavour. Having said that, if you don’t want to add the bacon or you just don’t have any around (which happens to me often), you don’t have to…this chili is delicious without it as well!
Chili Recipe Ideas
Chili is so versatile and can be served with SO many things. Here are some delicious ideas:
Baked Potatoes + Chili = Best Meal Idea Ever
It’s true! Have you ever had a baked potato loaded with beef chili and all the fixings?! It’s so so good. This is also a great way to use up leftover chili.
Beef Chili Recipe Tips
- Beef: Lean ground beef works best for this chili. You can use regular ground beef, just make sure to drain the excess fat.
- Can I use other ground meat? Yes! Ground turkey or chicken is delicious in this recipe too. You can also use a mixture of beef/chicken/turkey.
- Beans: Any beans work well in this chili: red kidney beans, chickpeas, black beans, mixed beans, even a can of brown beans.
- Bacon: As I mentioned above, bacon makes this chili extra flavourful. But if you just don’t have any, or don’t want to add it, you don’t have to. This chili is still delicious!
- Broth/Wine: You can use beef broth instead of wine. Or a mixture of both.
- Make ahead tip! This chili is even better after it has sat for a day in the refrigerator, which makes it a great make-ahead recipe!
- Freezing: This chili freezes well. Store it in an airtight container and freeze for 3 months.
Best Beef Chili
A classic recipe for Beef Chili, loaded with beans, spices and loads of delicious flavour! The addition of bacon makes this chili especially tasty! Serve with cornbread, buns, rice or over a baked potato. SO delicious.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 90 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 50 minutes
- Yield: 8 – 10 servings 1x
- Category: Beef
- Method: Stovetop
- 8 slices of cooked bacon (chopped)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green or red bell pepper
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 (5.5 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 cups red wine or beef broth (or a mixture of both)
- 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes including the tomato sauce
- 2 (14 ounce) cans beans (kidney beans, chick peas, or brown beans)
- Brown the ground beef with the chopped onion, peppers and garlic.
- Add the bacon and cook. Drain off the fat, if necessary.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, oregano, sugar, salt, pepper and bay leaves. Cook and stir continually for 1 minute.
- Add the wine (or broth), tomatoes and beans.
- Bring to a low boil, then reduce the heat and simmer covered for 1 hour. Stir occasionally.
- After 1 hour, remove the lid and cook for 30 more minutes. Stirring occasionally.
- Remove the bay leaves and serve!
Keywords: beef chili, best beef chili, chili recipe
PIN IT to make later!
Have a delicious day!
This post was originally published in January 2011. I just updated the photos! Same great recipe, just with new drool-worthy images.