A classic recipe for Beef Chili, loaded with beans, spices and loads of delicious flavour! The addition of bacon makes this dish especially tasty! Serve with cornbread, buns, rice or over a baked potato. SO delicious.
Chili is a staple in our home and has been served countless times here over the years. It’s just one of those classic dinners that everyone loves. It’s hearty, healthy and so versatile!
Big Batch Cooking is Great for Meal Planning!
I especially love this beef chili recipe because it makes a huge batch, so I can serve half for dinner one night, and freeze the rest for later which comes in handy on those weeknights when you don’t know what to make for dinner! It’s also a great recipe option if you’re serving a big crowd of people (feeds 8 – 10)
Bacon Makes Everything Better!
This recipe is loaded with ground beef, spices and beans, but it also has bacon in it which I think adds SO much amazing flavour. The smokiness from the bacon makes this chili super flavourful.
What to serve chili with?
Chili is so versatile and can be served with SO many things. Here are some delicious ideas:
- Serve with fresh buns or a freshly baked mozzarella quick bread or cornbread.
- Add it to baked potatoes.
- Use it as a side dish to steak or burgers.
- Take it camping!
Chili Baked Potatoes
One of my most favourite ways to serve chili is over baked potatoes. Have you ever tried this? If you haven’t you definitely should. Baked potatoes are the most perfect vessel. It’s especially delicious when you top everything off with sour cream and green onion. THE best.
That right there is dinner perfection! Perfect for any time of year, but it’s especially great for cold winter nights.
A classic recipe for Beef Chili, loaded with beans, spices and loads of delicious flavour! The addition of bacon makes this chili especially tasty! Serve with cornbread, buns, rice or over a baked potato. SO delicious.
- 8 slices of cooked bacon, chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green or red pepper
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 – 5.5 oz can tomato paste
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/4 cups red wine (or use beef broth)
- 2 – 28 oz cans whole tomatoes
- 2 – 14 oz cans beans (kidney beans, chick peas, or brown beans, or corn)
- Brown the ground beef with the chopped onion, peppers and garlic.
- Add the bacon and cook. Drain off the fat, if necessary.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, oregano, sugar, salt, pepper and bay leaves. Cook and stir continually for 1 minute.
- Add the wine (or broth), tomatoes and beans.
- Bring to a low boil, then reduce the heat and simmer covered for 1 hour. Stir occasionally.
- After 1 hour, remove the lid and cook for 30 more minutes. Stirring occasionally.
- Remove the bay leaves and serve!
Keywords: chili, best beef chili, beef chili
Beef Chili Recipe Tips:
- If you don’t wish to use bacon, you can leave it out.
- This chili is even better after it has sat for 1 day in the fridge, which makes it a great make-ahead recipe!
- This recipe also freezes very well.
More delicious recipes made with ground beef:
This post was originally published in January 2011. I just updated the photos! Same great recipe, just with new drool-worthy images.