This Cabbage Roll Soup is a hearty, healthy and delicious dinner…and it tastes just like cabbage rolls! Ready in 1 hour!
Well here in Alberta it turned from summer into fall overnight. One minute the air smelled like sunshine and lazy days, and the next it was all fall leaves and routine, but honestly I’m ready for it. We had an amazing and busy summer, but now I am craving routine, sweaters, brown nail polish, shoes with socks, all things pumpkin, and fall comfort food.
I’m also finding myself in a nesting mode of sorts. I think it’s due to back to school jitters and the fact that I now have two kids in junior high, and I’ve been worried about the transition to a new school and all the stuff that comes with teenagers. Le sigh. So I cook and bake to calm my worries. Last week I made zucchini loaves, chocolate zucchini cake, monster cookies, chocolate chip cookies, bran muffins, hamburger soup and this cabbage roll soup. See what I mean? Nesting. But at least the freezer is stocked.
Tastes Just Like Cabbage Rolls!
This soup is delicious! It tastes just like a cabbage roll, but without all the fuss of having to roll them in cabbage. So good.
Rich and Delicious!
I think one of my most favourite things about this soup is the fact that is has a little bacon in it, which adds such a nice smoky flavour to the tomato base. That and the fact that it’s loaded with delicious ingredients…ground beef, tomatoes, cabbage, carrots, onions, garlic, bacon…mmmmm, all the makings of cabbage rolls.
I served our cabbage roll soup with a homemade braided pumpkin bread. A perfect fall dinner, and comfort food for stressful days.
- Consomme Option: If you don’t have consomme, you can use beef broth instead.
- This soup will thicken after it has sat (in the fridge), so you may want to add more water or a water/consomme mix before reheating.
- Freezing: This soup doesn’t freeze well. I have frozen it, but it gets very thick, and the rice becomes a little mushy. Just a fore-warning.
- Slow Cooker Option: If you like you can make this soup in a slow cooker. Just brown the ground beef with the onions, garlic and carrots. When the beef is cooked, drain any excess grease. Add the cooked beef and all the remaining ingredients to a slow cooker and cook for 6 – 7 hours on LOW, or 3 – 4 hours on HIGH (until the rice is soft).
Cabbage Roll Soup
- 1 1/2 - 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 carrots finely chopped
- 6 - 7 cups chopped green cabbage
- 6 slices of cooked bacon chopped finely
- 2 - 10 oz cans beef consomme
- 1 - 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 - 5 oz can of tomato paste
- 2 1/2 cups plain tomato sauce basically 1 - 23 oz can
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 leaves bay
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 3/4 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a stock (soup) pot, brown the ground beef with the onions, garlic and carrots.
- When the beef is cooked, drain any excess grease.
- Return the pot to low-medium heat, and add the chopped cooked bacon. Cook for about 1 minute.
- Add the chopped cabbage and cook for about 2 minutes more.
- Add the remaining ingredients: consomme, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, water, worcestershire sauce, bay leaves, sugar, rice and salt & pepper.
- Simmer for 35 - 40 minutes (or until the rice is tender).
Inspired by Spending With Pennies
I hope you try this soup and love it too!
– – – – – –
Want more soups? Here are more great recipes!
Have a delicious day!