Easy Cooked Shredded Chicken and 8 Recipes To Use It
Shredded chicken is an essential meal prep ingredient! Here is a simple way to make and prepare Easy Cooked Shredded Chicken! Includes 8 delicious recipes for shredded chicken.
If there is one ingredient that saves me the most at dinner preparation time, it would definitely have to be cooked shredded chicken on hand and ready to use. If you have it prepared ahead of time, dinner planning is easier than ever, because it’s easily added to soups, stews, and casseroles. I have to admit though, I used to hate the process of shredding chicken, but I have tried a new method and now I swear by it! I use a stand mixer. Read on!
Use a stand mixer to shred:
I’m sure you’ve seen various videos and posts about this method, you may have even seen one of my recent Instagram stories where I showed how it works. Basically all you have to do is cook chicken breasts ahead of time, then once they’re cooked, you add them to a mixing bowl and use the paddle attachment on a stand mixer to shred it. Once it’s shredded you can portion it and freeze it for when you need it!
Or use forks:
If you don’t have a stand mixer, or don’t wish to use it to shred chicken, you can shred cooked chicken using 2 forks. It’s as simple as pulling the cooked chicken apart using forks.
Watch how to shred cooked chicken the easy way!
Here’s 9 second video I made just to give you a quick idea of how to do it:
Shredded Chicken Tips & Tricks
- Chicken: Use boneless skinless chicken breast.
- Storage: Once the cooked chicken is cool and shredded you can store it in the refrigerator for meals for the upcoming week. Or freeze portions it in airtight container or ziplock bags. I split mine into 4 containers for easy portioning.
Recipes with Shredded Chicken:
Now that you have all that cooked shredded chicken, what are you to do with it? Here are 8 of my favourite recipes:
More delicious ideas for
Using Shredded Chicken
How to make Cooked Shredded Chicken:
Before you shred chicken, you need to cook it! I’m sharing a simple oven roasted method to make tender and delicious chicken breasts. Seasoned chicken is wrapped tightly in a foil package where it steams in its juices. This recipe makes a batch of 8.
Easy Cooked Shredded Chicken
Shredded chicken is an essential meal prep ingredient! Here is how to prepare Easy Cooked Shredded Chicken and 8 Recipes To Use It!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 8 cups 1x
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Roasting
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- a little olive oil
- salt or seasoning salt
- fresh ground pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Lay 8 chicken breasts onto a sheet of tin foil.
- Drizzle with olive oil (or vegetable oil or canola oil).
- Season with generously salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Wrap the foil into a tight package.
- Bake the chicken for 20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked thoroughly (a thermometer inserted into the centre should read 165 degrees F when done).
- When the chicken is cooked through, it’s ready to shred.
- Shred 2 chicken breasts at a time by adding them to your mixing bowl, using the paddle attachment. Mix on low until the chicken is shredded (it’s very quick). Don’t mix it for too long or the chicken will get mushy and won’t have the texture of shredded chicken.
- Transfer the shredded chicken into a separate bowl, or a freezer container (see tips above).
- Repeat until all of the chicken is shredded.
- Use as desired. See tips and recipes in this post!
Keywords: how to shred chicken, shredded chicken recipe
PIN IT to make later!
I hope you try this shredding method, it really is so easy! You’ll love having shredded chicken in your freezer to help you at meal times. Enjoy.
Love this meal prep idea? Then don’t miss my post on making a big batch of cooked ground beef, including 15+ recipes to use it!
Thank you for sharing. I cook up chicken breasts by the dozen and freeze whole or chopped. I like the idea of shredding. Your recipes look amazing too 🙂