This Summer Roll Salad Recipe makes the most delicious make-your-own dinner! Set out all of the ingredients for salad rolls, then let everyone make their own dinner bowl (these are basically deconstructed salad rolls). Serve with a peanut sauce and ginger vinaigrette.
If you’re looking for a fresh, delicious and interactive meal idea, this Summer Roll Salad Recipe is it! Set out bowls of fresh ingredients and let everyone create their own delicious dinner bowl.
A simple way to enjoy salad rolls without all the fuss of making them!
I love salad rolls, but what I do not love about them, is making them. It can feel tedious to roll everything in rice paper wrappers, which requires time and patience, which I don’t always have around the dinner hour when everyone is hungry. So instead, I decided to create a make-your-own Summer Salad Roll salad bar! Basically, these are deconstructed salad rolls.
Making Summer Roll Salad Bowls:
I love salad bars. Actually, any buffet style serving is the best, there’s just nothing like loading your plate or bowl up with food in a way that you like it. Make-your-own dinners are such a fun way for everyone to create a meal in a way that they love…with toppings that they like. With this Summer Roll Salad Bar, everyone gets to make a bowl that suits their own tastebuds!
Set out and serve!
For this Summer Roll Salad recipe set out all of the delicious ingredients of a Summer Roll, then let everyone serve up their own dinner bowls. This is a perfect meal idea for small parties too!
Summer Roll Salad Recipe Tips:
- Chicken: You can roast 2 – 3 chicken breasts to shred for these bowls. OR, another simple and delicious option is to buy a rotisserie chicken and shred the meat…this is what I usually do, it’s easy and the meat is flavourful.
- Peanut Sauce: You can make this dipping sauce ahead of time (1 – 2 days).
- Ginger Vinaigrette: This dressing can also be made a few days ahead of time. Note: If you don’t have rice vinegar you can substitute apple cider vinegar.
- Noodles: Right before you are ready to eat, cook the noodles according to package directions. I always cook my noodles last because rice noodles get really sticky if they sit too long.
- Add Ins:
- purple cabbage
- bell peppers
- fresh herbs: cilantro and mint or Thai basil
- lime wedges
- roasted peanuts
- hoisin sauce
- Vietnamese chicken meatball bites: I like to make a batch of these to add to the bowls. They’re so flavourful and are a perfect addition.
- Optional: cooked shrimp
Salad Prep Order:
Summer Roll Salad Recipe
This Summer Roll Salad Recipe makes the most delicious make-your-own dinner! Set out all of the ingredients for salad rolls, then let everyone make their own dinner bowl. Serve with a peanut sauce and ginger vinaigrette.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 4 – 6 servings 1x
- Category: Salad
- 1 small onion or shallots, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes (depends on how much heat you like)
- 2 tsp vegetable oil (or canola oil)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 – 2 tbsp freshly grated ginger including the juice
- 1 tbsp honey
- 6 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
Summer Roll Salad Fixings:
- 2 – 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (see tips) (plus salt + pepper)
- 1/2 head of a small purple cabbage, sliced thinly
- 4 carrots, sliced into matchsticks about 2 inches long
- 1 cucumber sliced into thin sticks about 2 inches long
- 4 green onions, sliced thinly
- 1 small bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 small bunch fresh mint
- limes, cut into small wedges for a garnish
- 1/2 cup dry roasted peanuts
- hoisin sauce for additional dressing
- Sriracha sauce
- 8 oz of rice vermicelli noodles, cooked
- In a small saucepan sauté the onion, garlic, and red pepper flakes in oil until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Then whisk in the remaining ingredients and mix until smooth. Simmer while stirring, about 2 minutes.
- Set aside until right before serving.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, honey, rice wine vinegar, ginger and red pepper flakes. Set aside until right before serving.
Summer Roll Salad:
- First roast the chicken. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Place the chicken on a sheet of aluminum foil large enough to wrap around the chicken. Season generously with salt and fresh ground black pepper, bake until the chicken is fully cooked, about 15-20 minutes. Then using your hands, shred it. Put it into a serving dish. TIP! If you want to make things really simple, use a grocery store rotisserie chicken (this is what I usually do).
- Put the remaining salad ingredients into separate serving bowls and lay them out on your serving table.
- Right before you are ready to eat, cook the noodles according to package directions. I always cook my noodles last because rice noodles get really sticky if they sit too long.
- Now it’s just up to you and your eaters how to make their own salads! I like to start with the noodles first, then add a little ginger vinaigrette, then the salad fixings of your choice, topped off with fresh mint, cilantro, peanuts, a dollop of peanut sauce and a squeeze of fresh lime juice!
Keywords: summer roll salad recipe, salad roll bowl
More Delicious Dinner Bowl Recipes to try:
PIN IT to make later!
Have a delicious day!
Please note: This post was originally published in 2013 but I have since updated it with new images and more useful recipe tips!