Mexican Bowl Recipe (with Cilantro Lime Dressing)
This Mexican Bowl Recipe is a fun, delicious and healthy dinner idea! Serve everything buffet style so everyone can create their own bowl.
Even though we still have over a foot of snow in our backyard on April 10 (right?!!!), my mind is still turning towards summer. I just can’t wait…and can taste it already. I’m dreaming of warm sunny days on my flower filled deck, of BBQ’s and backyard parties. It will come, it will come, it will come. But for now, I’m going to eat like it’s summer, with fresh and light dinners that taste of warmer days. With the added benefit that my bathing suit might fit a little nicer by July. 😉
Buffet Style Dinner Bowls Make Family Dinners Fun!
My goal is to introduce more healthy and fresh dinner recipes to my family, and if they are delicious enough they might not even realize they’re eating better! One of the ways I like to do this is to offer buffet style bowl dinners. So basically, I put out a selection of ingredients, and everyone can put together their own dinner bowl. My kids love the interactive nature of the dinner, and I love that we’re eating more healthy, so it’s a win-win all over.
I thought it would be fun to share the bowls I am making with you! First up, a Mexican Bowl Recipe.
About this Mexican Dinner Bowl Recipe:
Everyone in my house loves anything Mexican inspired, so this Mexican Bowl Recipe is always a big hit when I serve it. You can think of these as almost like Burrito Bowls…they’re basically deconstructed burritos. Bowls filled with beef, taco seasoning, rice, corn, beans, tomatoes, cabbage, bell peppers, red onion and fresh lime wedges, all drizzled in a delicious cilantro lime dressing. Bursting with fresh ingredients with fresh flavour.
Offer All Your Favourite Taco Toppings for this Bowl!
You can offer any of your favourite taco toppings to go with these dinner bowls, just place them in separate containers so everyone can make their own bowls. Here are some ideas:
- sliced bell peppers
- sliced red onions
- purple cabbage
- beans (black beans, refried beans or chickpeas)
- corn niblets
- fresh sliced avocado
- cooked ground beef with taco seasoning
- romaine lettuce
- sour cream
- shredded cheese
- hot sauce
- you can also put out tortilla chips
Then, when the bowls are all assembled, drizzle them with the delicious cilantro lime salad dressing…so so good.
Just look at this colourful and tasty bowl…then watch everyone gobble it up.
Drizzled in the most delicious dressing.
I think my favourite part of this bowl is the dressing…it’s made with fresh cilantro, garlic and lime juice and tastes amazing. Tangy and a perfect topping to this Mexican bowl.
This Mexican Bowl is such a simple dinner recipe, and can be ready in under 1 hour! Enjoy.
Mexican Dinner Bowl Recipe Tips:
- Meat: This recipe calls for ground beef, but you can also use ground chicken, chicken breast or ground turkey.
- Taco Seasoning: You can make your own taco seasoning with cumin, chili powder, paprika, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and sugar…this is the recipe I use. Or you can buy a pre-made package of seasoning.
- Rice: You can use white rice or brown rice.
- Leftovers: Store any leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Just reheat in the microwave.
Mexican Bowl Recipe
This Mexican Bowl Recipe is a fun, delicious and healthy dinner idea! Serve everything buffet style so everyone can create their own dinner bowl.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Beef
Cilantro Lime Dressing:
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro (a handful)
- 1 clove of garlic (cut into 4 pieces)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- zest and juice from 1 lime
- 1/8 tsp salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tbsp homemade taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup sliced grape tomatoes
- 1 cup sliced purple cabbage
- 2 cups corn
- 1 can chickpeas or black beans
- 1/4 cup sliced red onion
- 1 bell pepper (sliced)
- 1 sliced avocado
- lime wedges
- 1 – 2 cups cooked rice
Cilantro Lime Dressing:
- Add all of the dressing ingredients into a food processor (or use a hand blender), and pulse until all the ingredients are mixed well. Set aside.
- In a skillet add the ground beef and cook until it is no longer pink. Then drain and return to the pan.
- Add the taco seasoning and water, and simmer for a few minutes, until the water is gone.
- Prepare all of the fresh ingredients and put them into their own serving bowls (buffet style).
Putting everything together:
- Place out all of the bowls of prepared ingredients, and let everyone make their own Mexican bowl!
- Fill bowls with rice first, then cooked beef, add fresh ingredients, then drizzle with the cilantro lime dressing.
Keywords: Mexican dinner bowl, burrito bowls
More Delicious Dinner Bowl Recipes:
PIN IT to make later!
Have a delicious day!
Great recipe Jo-anna. I made this tonight and I loved it as tastier alternative to tacos.
Thank you Ashleigh! I’m so happy you enjoyed it…and I agree, it’s a great alternative to tacos!