Take a boxed white cake mix up a notch with this Coconut Cream Poke Cake Recipe! A moist vanilla cake with sweet cream of coconut, whipped cream topping and toasted coconut.
Coconut lovers unite! If you love coconut and cake, then you need to make this mostly homemade Coconut Cream Poke Cake! Cream of coconut soaked into a soft vanilla cake base, then topped with whipped cream and toasted coconut makes the MOST delicious dessert.
Sheet Cakes (9 X 13) are so easy!
I love baking cakes like this Coconut Cream Poke Cake, in 9×13 pans. Cakes that are baked and served from the same pan are so great! They’re easy to make and decorate, and they can feed a small crowd, making them perfect for birthday parties and dinner gatherings. With this coconut cake just spread on whipped topping then sprinkle on toasted coconut and you have the prettiest (and most delicious) cake!
This cake has a lovely light coconut flavour…it’s not overly coconut-y which is really nice! If you’re looking for a stronger coconut flavour, consider adding 1/2 to 1 tsp of coconut extract to the batter mixture.
My recommendation: Make it ahead of time!
This cake is SO GOOD made a day ahead of time, so if you can, make it a day before you want to serve it. The extra time allows for the coconut flavour to really set into the cake. So make the cake, poke and add the cream of coconut, cover, then let it chill in the fridge overnight.
Coconut Cream Poke Cake Recipe Tips:
- TIMELINE: You need to allow the cake AT LEAST 4 hours to chill before adding the whipped cream topping. Tip! I like to bake the cake and add the cream of coconut the day before I want to serve the cake. Just cover and refrigerate overnight. Then add the whipped cream and toasted coconut right before you’re ready to serve.
- CREAM OF COCONUT: Use only CREAM OF COCONUT. NOT coconut cream or coconut milk. Cream of Coconut is different, almost like a syrup. You can find it in the “International” aisles in the grocery store, or in the section with the drink mixes…I often see it next to things like Margarita mix. Before using it, make sure to mix the cream of coconut really well first…I like to use a hand blender to do this.
- CAKE MIX: Use a 2-layer white cake mix with NO pudding.
- WHIPPING CREAM: For the frosting you can use homemade whipped cream, or Cool Whip whipped topping. Use 2 cups.
- COCONUT: I like to use sweetened flaked coconut, but you can also use sweetened shredded coconut.
- WANT MORE COCONUT FLAVOUR? If you’re looking for a stronger coconut flavour, consider adding 1/2 to 1 tsp of coconut extract to the batter mixture.
- PREPPING THE CAKE PAN: Make sure you prep the cake by lightly greasing it with butter or a baking spray.
- POKING THE CAKE: Once the cake has baked use a fork or skewer to poke holes all over the cake. Make sure you poke the holes deep so the cream of coconut can soak all the way through to the bottom of the cake.
How to pour the coconut cream:
First poke holes into the cake using a skewer, fork or straw. Then pour the cream of coconut into the holes (don’t forget to mix the cream of coconut well until it is smooth). Chill. Then cover with whipped cream. YUM!
More Delicious 9×13 Cakes to Make!
PIN IT to make later!
Have a delicious day!