Remember last week when I posted a recipe for Roasted Coconut Lime Chicken? What I didn’t mention at the time was that, that marinade is the best marinade in the history of all marinades. We loved the flavour of the chicken so much that over dinner that night the hubby and I brainstormed a million ways to use it. And first up was in a fried rice dish. Yes.
On a side note, I’m so thankful that my husband loves to try all different kinds of recipes, and isn’t afraid of any flavours! I happen to know a few men who don’t like food change. Is that the case in your home? I think I would find that very hard. I love to experiment with spices and play with recipes. Not all of them turn out, but I’ve got good support either way…good thing because I don’t know what I’d do if I couldn’t bake and cook as I pleased! I’d be cranky that’s what I know to be true hahaha
So we threw together a basic fried rice, and enhanced it with some fabulous Thai flavours!
This fried rice is a great way to use up any leftover chicken from your Roasted Coconut Lime Chicken dinner the night before! That is, if you have any! 😉
Don’t be afraid of the length of the recipe…it’s not as tedious or as hard as it may look! And it’s super delish!Print
Thai Fried Rice
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- grated zest from 2 limes
- juice from 2 limes
- 2 tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tbsp packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 – 13.5 oz can of coconut milk
- 1 – 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 – 3 green onions (thinly sliced)
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 cups cooked rice (leftover rice 1–2 days old is best)
- 1/2 cup chopped red peppers
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- chopped fresh cilantro
- chopped peanuts
- Sriracha sauce
- In a large bowl mix together the lime zest, lime juice, ginger, garlic, sugar, salt and coconut milk. Mix until smooth.
- Add the chicken making sure it is submerged.
- Marinate for 4 to 12 hours. Overnight is best for maximum flavour!
- Once the chicken has marinated, add the chicken and the marinade to a deep skillet or saucepan, and poach the chicken until it is cooked thoroughly, about 20 minutes.
- Then cut the cooked chicken into bite sized pieces, or shred it. Set aside.
- In a frying pan, over med-high heat, saute the garlic and green onions in little bit of oil. Saute about 1 minute.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and the soy sauce together until thoroughly combined.
- Pour the egg mixture into the hot frying pan. The eggs should fluff up as they cook. Stir them to cook them quickly.
- Add the rice and the cooked chicken and fry for about 5 minutes.
- Then add the red peppers, carrots and frozen peas, and cook until the veggies are heated through.
Recipe adapted from The Feed Zone Cookbook.
Have a delicious day!