This Easy Sausage Potato Soup is hearty, flavourful and so delicious! Have this simple recipe on your table in less than 1 hour.
QUICK: This soup can be on your table in under 1 hour.
EASY: Made with simple ingredients.
COMFORTING: Hearty and comforting, everyone will love it!
PROS: Make it all in one dish.
A hearty one-pot soup recipe.
I love recipes like this that be made in one pot! This easy sausage potato soup is prepared and simmered in one dish. Assembly is easy, and so is the clean up…love that!
About the Ingredients:
As I mentioned above, I am working with Urban Butcher, part of Canadian Rocky Mountain Resorts, to bring this Sausage Potato Soup recipe to you! So naturally, I am using a couple of ingredients from their store, the Pork Mild Italian Sausage, and the Chicken Bone Broth. Both of which are extremely flavourful and delicious!
About Urban Butcher
Urban Butcher is a Calgary based butcher shop that offers the finest quality cuts of ethically and naturally raised local meats, including Alberta Beef, pasture raised pork, free range, free run, organic poultry products, various deli products fresh from their own smokehouse, pre-marinated items that are ready to cook, as well as recipes for meal inspiration! When visiting this shop, I was so impressed with how much there was to choose from…it was Thanksgiving at the time so I left with some cured meats and jams. Later I ordered some Italian sausages and chicken bone broth from their online shop, which were then delivered to my door…the best!
Let’s talk about this soup!
Without hesitation, I will say this is one of our most favourite soup recipes, and one that everyone in my family loves…which is a feat I tell you! It’s creamy, cheesy, flavourful and so so good. The Italian sausage lends so much flavour and spice, it’s loaded with tender veggies. The best.
Hearty enough as a stand alone meal.
This soup has everything you need in it for a full meal…meat, vegetables, broth and cheese! It will definitely fill bellies. If you want to serve something else alongside your soup, here are some tasty bread options:
Sides to enjoy with your soup!
I mean, just look at that creamy soup!
Perfect for chilly nights.
Just imagine a chilly fall or wintery night, and a big bowl of this hearty sausage potato soup. This is the kind of meal those nights were made for. On a side note, this soup would be perfect for a potluck!
How to Make Sausage Potato Soup:
This soup is ready from start to finish in less than 1 hour! And you can make it all in the same pot which makes prep and clean up easy. Brown the sausage, then sauté the potatoes, onions, garlic, carrots, celery and spices in the same pot with the drippings. Add the chicken broth, cream and cheese, simmer, and dinner is ready.
These bread bowls are absolutely delicious with this Sausage Potato Soup! Let your bread machine do all the mixing and kneading to make them, then shape the dough into buns and bake in your oven. These buns are great for a thick soup like this.
Sausage Potato Soup Recipe Tips
- Sausage: Use Italian pork sausage for this soup, it has the most flavour! You can use mild, medium or hot, depending on what you like.
- Drippings: I like to sauté the potatoes, onions, garlic, carrots and celery in the drippings from the sausages. If you find that there isn’t enough, or you don’t want to do this, feel free to use a couple tablespoons of vegetable oil or butter instead.
- Potatoes: Yellow or red potatoes work well for this soup. You can peel them or not.
- Cream: Use half + half or 3% milk. You can use heavy cream as well, but it will be a very rich soup.
- Shredded Cheese: Use a flavourful cheddar cheese like a sharp or old cheddar.
- What to do with leftovers? Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for about 3 days. Either reheat it on the stove or in the microwave.
- Can I freeze this soup? Absolutely. Thaw and reheat in a pot on the stove.
Watch the video!
PIN IT to make later!
I hope you enjoy this creamy sausage potato soup! Have a delicious day!