These Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies are a classic! Crispy on the outside, soft and chewy on the inside. Great for snacks and lunch boxes.
If you’re looking to add another cookie recipe to your recipe box, this is a great one! Classic. Simple. Delicious.
Cookies make everything better!
What in the world did we ever do without cookies? Seriously though. Cookies are a household staple around here and I’m always baking a batch for snacks and lunches. This particular recipe for oatmeal chocolate chip cookies is one that I have been making for years. They are quick to assemble, they’re school-safe (nut-free), and kids love them.
Oats make the most chewy cookies.
We love classic chocolate chip cookies, but I also love the addition of the oats in this recipe. The oats somehow makes them seem more hearty and like they have a little extra nutrition. In fact I think this is the only cookie recipe that I made for my kids for the first few years of their lives…they didn’t even know chocolate chip cookies without oatmeal existed! Haha! But really, I love adding oats because they make cookies so nice and chewy.
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe Tips:
- Chocolate Chips: You can use semi-sweet chips, milk chocolate chips. If you want something a little different you can also use white chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, dark chocolate chips or peanut butter chips. You could also add nuts (walnuts or pecans) or coconut.
- Oats: Use quick oats, not instant oats. I have not made them with rolled oats, but I think they would also work, I’m just not sure how the texture would be.
- Shaping the dough: To make sure these cookies don’t spread out too thin, roll the dough into a 1-inch ball, and lightly flatten the tops…you don’t want to squish the cookie.
- Baking Time: I bake my cookies for 12 minutes, which makes them perfectly soft and chewy. If you want your cookies even softer, bake them for less time (10 minutes), if you want them more crunchy, bake them for more (12+ minutes).
- Storage: Keep these cookies in an airtight container to keep them soft.
- Freezing: These cookies freeze well. Store in an airtight container or ziplock bag in the freezer for up to 3 months.
These Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies are soft, chewy and taste so delicious. And I think you should make them!Print
More Delicious Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipes:
PIN IT to make later!
Have a delicious day!
This post was originally published in 2011, but I recently updated it with new images and made a couple of minor changes to the recipe itself…I adjusted the oven temperature down to 350 degrees, and adjusted the sugars.