These Sweet and Sour Meatballs are a family favourite! Delicious served with rice and a veggie.
Hello! I’m bringing out another recipe from the archives! My original post was from last fall when I had about 5 followers (my mom and friends!), so I thought I should dig it out again. It’s just that time of year when meals change from BBQ to more oven meals! This is a really easy, very good sweet & sour sauce from my bestie Paula. I hope you enjoy it!
These Sweet and Sour Meatballs are a family favourite! Delicious served with rice and a veggie. Serves 4 – 6.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion (minced)
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup oats
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- salt & pepper
The Sweet & Sour Sauce
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup pureed yam (optional, see Tips)
- 3 tbsp vinegar
- 2 tbsp soya sauce
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- Combine the meatball ingredients, then shape into meatballs, about 1 1/2 inches in size.
- Bake the un-sauced meatballs in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes. Or until centres are not pink.
The Sweet and Sour Sauce:
- In a saucepan combine all the sauce ingredients and bring to a low boil.
- Whisk and cook until the sauce thickens.
- Pour the sauce over your cooked meatballs, and heat in a 300 degree oven for about 20 minutes before serving.
- Serve over rice and with a green veggie.
- To make this recipe even easier, you can use cooked frozen meatballs. Just heat them up in the oven (without sauce) for about 15 minutes, before adding sauce.
- If you want to make the sauce a little more healthy, add 1/4 cup pureed yam! No one will even notice it’s in there! Trust me.
More Meatball Recipes:
Have a delicious day!