These Sweet and Sour Meatballs are a family favourite! Sweet, tangy, meaty and so good. Easy to make and are delicious served over rice.
Today I’m sharing a family favourite recipe…Sweet and Sour Meatballs. When I make this for dinner the kids run to the table! Delicious with rice and a green vegetable.
A Classic Dinner Recipe
This is a great recipe to add to your meal plan. These meatballs are simple to make and I haven’t met a person yet that doesn’t love them! In fact this recipe has stood the test of time…it appeared on my dinner table when I was a kid too!
Make them an appetizer!
I should also like to mention here that these sweet and sour meatballs also make a great appetizer! When I serve them this way I like to make the meatballs smaller in size (more bite-sized).
Made with simple ingredients right from the pantry.
Nothing fancy here, just simple ingredients. The sweet sauce is made with vinegar and ketchup to give it the perfect sour zing to go with the sweetness of the sugar. TIP! We like our meatballs extra saucy so I like to double the sauce.
Sweet and Sour Meatballs Recipe Tips:
- BEEF: Use lean ground beef. You can also use ground turkey, ground pork or a mixture.
- MEATBALLS: You can make the meatballs from scratch, or feel free to use pre-made frozen meatballs. Just heat the frozen meatballs in the oven (without sauce) for about 15 minutes, before adding sauce.
- SAUCE: If you like your meatballs really saucy, I would recommend doubling the sauce. If I double the recipe sometimes I will use only 3/4 cup of sugar (instead of the 1 cup when doubled).
- OPTION: Sometimes if I have pureed pumpkin or yam in the fridge I will add 1/4 – 1/2 cup to the sauce. No one will even notice it’s in there! Trust me.
- DOUBLE IT! This recipe is easily doubled.
Serve over steamed rice and with a green veggie or side Caesar salad. Another option is to make a separate skillet of chopped red bell pepper, onions, pineapple and green pea pods and serve this with the sauce and meatballs…it’s so good!
PIN IT to make later!