These Easy Meatballs with Gravy Dinner is a quick and delicious meal that the whole family will love. Hearty and tender meatballs with rich gravy are perfect over mashed potatoes! Ready in less than 1 hour.
The one meal I know my kids will always eat, is meatballs. Meatballs with spaghetti, sweet and sour meatballs, stroganoff meatballs, and meatballs and gravy. And I love that because meatballs are one of my favourites too. What I also love about them is how easy they are to make.
Ready in less than 1 hour!
This Meatball and Gravy dinner is quick and simple, and can be on your table in less than 1 hour. So not only are they fast, but all the ingredient to make them are simple too. In fact you probably have all of them already.
A rich Homemade Gravy that’s easy to make!
For this recipe I make simple ground beef meatballs, and create a gravy made out of consomme. I always try to have consomme on hand because I use it in so many recipes, but it is the best when used to make gravy. You can use beef broth, but I find that the flavour isn’t as rich or deep as consomme. I use 2 cans for this recipe because we like loads of gravy…everything must be drenched in gravy. Yes.
Perfect for any night of the week.
So good served over a bed of creamy mashed potatoes (also over warm buttered noodles). Yum. A perfect weeknight dinner…I hope you enjoy it!
Meatballs Recipe Tips
- Meatballs: This recipe is great with homemade meatballs or store bought meatballs.
- Meat: I use lean ground beef for these meatballs, but have also used a ground beef and ground pork (or ground turkey) combination meatball.
- Gravy: Consomme or Broth? I always use consomme for my homemade gravy because I love the deep rich flavour of it. But you can use a broth as well…beef or vegetable, depending on what you are looking for (beef broth has a little more rich flavour). If you’re going to use broth, use the most rich one you can find.
- Garnish: Garnish with a tablespoon of chopped fresh parsley or green onion.
- Meal Idea: serve with mashed potatoes (hot buttered pasta is delicious too) and steamed green beans or simple green salad.
- Leftovers: Any leftover meatballs and gravy can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, or they can be frozen.
- Meal Prep Tip: Double the batch and freeze half for later. To freeze place the raw meatballs on a baking sheet then freeze. Once frozen transfer the meatballs to a ziplock bag and keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
FAQs about these meatballs
Easy Meatballs with Gravy
These Easy Meatballs with Gravy is a quick and delicious meal that the whole family will love. Hearty and tender meatballs with rich gravy are perfect over mashed potatoes! Ready in less than 1 hour.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Beef
- Method: Oven
- 2 lb lean ground beef
- 1 small onion minced
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 (10.5 ounce) cans of consomme
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp flour
- 2/3 cup cream (like half + half)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 5 – 6 large potatoes (peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup buttermilk
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
Making the Meatballs:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- For easy clean up line a baking sheet with foil.
- In a large bowl combine the meatball ingredients: ground beef, minced onion, egg, and salt and pepper.
- Shape into meatballs, about 1 1/2 inches round. You can use an ice cream scoop or cookie scoop to help you shape them.
- Place the meatballs on a baking sheet and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the centres are not pink. An instant read thermometer inserted into the centres of the meatballs should read 160 degrees F.
Making the Gravy:
- While the meatballs are baking, you can start the gravy.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the consomme and 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce, and simmer over low to medium heat.
- In a small bowl, mix together the butter and flour.
- Add the butter/flour mixture to the consomme and whisk until the gravy is bubbling and the thickened.
- Once the mixture has thickened, whisk in the cream and simmer and stir until thickened once again.
Making the Mashed Potatoes:
- While the meatballs are cooking, and the gravy is simmering, you can start the potatoes.
- In a large pot boil the potatoes until they are soft.
- Drain completely.
- Add the butter and cream, and mash until smooth. Note: I start with 1/4 cup of cream (you can also use sour cream) and add more if needed.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Putting it all together:
- When the meatballs are cooked through, add them to the pan with the gravy and simmer over low heat for about 5 minutes.
- Serve over mashed potatoes.
Keywords: dinner in under 1 hour, meatballs, meatball recipe
PIN IT for later!
Have a delicious day!