These oven baked Easy Meatball Subs are meaty, cheesy and SO flavourful! Perfect for dinner any night of the week, and great for parties too.
If you’re looking for a quick and simple meal that everyone will love, these Easy Meatball Subs are it! You just can’t go wrong with saucy meatballs in a ooey gooey cheesy bun. Winner winner meatball sub dinner.
A Simple + Delicious Dinner Idea!
This is one of those meals that my kids always look forward to! You just can’t go wrong with saucy, meaty subs, loaded with 3 kinds of cheese. I also love this dinner because it’s quick to bring together if I need…I keep a bag of frozen cooked meatballs, buns and jars of pasta sauce around for this very recipe.
Great for a crowd!
The recipe for these meatball subs can also be easily doubled or tripled, making them perfect for a larger crowd or party (especially game day parties!)! Serve everything buffet style and keep the cooked meatballs and sauce warm in a crockpot and let everyone help themselves.
Putting Together Meatball Subs
I like to serve meatball subs buffet style. I lay out all of the prepared ingredients: shredded cheese, sliced bocconcini, a bowl of parmesan, sliced buns and a pot full of hot meatballs and sauce. Then I let everyone put together their own sub in just the way they like it. Once everyone has made their sandwich, I lay them out on a baking sheet and bake them all together. Then once the subs are toasty and cheesy, we add fresh basil leaves to them. Delicious.
About the Ingredients
- MEATBALLS: You can use homemade or store bought meatballs for these subs. Pre-made cooked meatballs bought at the grocery store are a great time saver! Of if you prefer homemade meatballs, these Italian Meatballs are DELICIOUS in these subs…just make them smaller for sandwiches.
- I like to use pre-made cooked meatballs and I heat them up right in the sauce.
- If you’re using frozen store bought uncooked meatballs, prepare them as directed on the package, then simmer in the sauce for 10 minutes.
- If you’re using frozen homemade uncooked meatballs, bake them in the oven from frozen for about 20 minutes, then simmer in the sauce for 10 minutes.
- PASTA SAUCE: When I make these subs I like to use a 650 mL pre-made jar of spaghetti sauce because it’s easy and delicious (marinara sauce, 3 cheese sauce or basil pesto sauce are so good). But again, feel free to use your favourite homemade pasta sauce.
- BUNS: Any type of long, sturdy bun like submarine buns or hoagie buns work great for these. We’ve used hotdog buns too but they’re a little too soft and get soggy fast.
- BASIL: Don’t forget to add fresh basil after you’re baked your sub! It add so much delicious flavour.
- CHEESE: These subs have shredded mozzarella, sliced bocconcini and Parmesan cheese. You can also use provolone cheese if you like.
Tips & Tricks
- Let everyone make their own sub! Interactive dinners are the best! Lay out all of the prepared ingredients and have everyone put together a sub in just the way they like it. Then lay the dressed buns out on a baking sheet and bake them together.
- Basil tip! Add the basil AFTER the subs have baked, so it’s fresh!
- Bun tip! Don’t slice the buns all the way through, you want to create a pocket for the meatballs.
- Want your subs extra saucy? Consider using more sauce…this recipe calls for about 2 1/2 cups, but you can always use more.
- Great for a crowd! The recipe for these meatball subs can easily be doubled or tripled, making them perfect for a larger gathering! You can keep the meatballs and sauce warm in a crockpot and serve them like that.
- Serve with a simple green salad.
- Flavour option! If you love garlic, consider making a simple garlic butter and brushing the buns with it before adding the meatballs! YUM!
Easy Meatball Subs
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 5 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- 20 frozen COOKED meatballs (homemade or store bought)
- 1 – 650 mL jar pasta sauce (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 5 submarine buns
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 – 200 g Bocconcini ball (1 container)
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 bunch fresh basil leaves
- black pepper
- In a large skillet over low-medium heat, add the frozen cooked meatballs and jar of pasta sauce. (see tips above if you’re not using frozen meatballs)
- Simmer for 20 minutes, or until the meatballs are warmed through and the sauce is hot.
- In the mean time shred the mozzarella cheese and slice the bocconcini.
- Use a serrated knife to slice the buns horizontally, being careful not to cut the buns all the way through, you want to create a pocket for the meatballs.
- Add 4 saucy meatballs to each bun, and smother them in extra sauce.
- Generously sprinkle on shredded mozzarella.
- Add slices of bocconcini.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Place the subs on a baking tray to toast in the oven.
- Broil for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Add fresh basil leaves, extra sauce if you like, season with pepper, and enjoy!
Keywords: meatball subs, meatball subs with frozen meatballs
PIN IT for later!
I hope you enjoy these delicious meatball sandwiches! Have a delicious day!