These Easy Mexican Tortilla Pinwheels are great served as an appetizer or for lunch! Delicious, flavourful little bites…with cream cheese, taco spice, peppers, onions, cilantro, salsa and cheese! So good.
As I’ve mentioned before, lunches are my least favourite meal to prepare. I just find them so tedious, and the options seem so limited. So when I find easy lunch ideas that are new to us, I jump on them. These Mexican Tortilla Pinwheels are just that kind of lunch.
I’ve seen recipes for pinwheels all around the interwebs, but really never tried them until I had some delicious ones at my friend Sarah‘s house (I’m going to share that recipe here soon too). I LOVED them. Little delicious bites loaded with cream cheese flavour. So good.
Since then I’ve made a few different varieties for lunches and snacks and the kids really like them. So much so that my daughter decided to make some of her own!
This past weekend my daughter was busy in our kitchen cooking and baking for the week ahead, and one of the recipes she made were these Easy Mexican Tortilla Pinwheels for their lunch kits. I love that my kids are now contributing to the meals in our house! Anyway, these are so simple to make, and used ingredients we already had on hand. With just 15 minutes of prep time, lunches were made for 2 days! Love that.
These pinwheels are SO easy to pack in the kids lunch kits, and they’re a really nice change from sandwiches. I just add some fresh veggies, and they get a nutritious, fun and delicious lunch.
Delicious, flavourful little bites…with cream cheese, taco spice, peppers, onions, cilantro, salsa and cheese! So good.
Easy Mexican Tortilla Pinwheels
- 5 large flour tortillas
- 1 - 8 oz package of cream cheese
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 1 tsp taco spice
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red pepper
- 2 tbsp finely chopped green onion
- 2 - 3 tbsp finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup salsa
- Using a mixer, mix together the cream cheese, sour cream and taco spice until smooth.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients (red pepper, green onion, cilantro, cheese and salsa).
- Spread the cream cheese mixture evenly between the 5 flour tortillas, making sure to leave about a half an inch along the edges of the tortillas without the mixture.
- Roll the tortillas up tightly, then refrigerate for at least an hour, and even overnight.
- When you're ready to serve them, cut the tortillas into 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick.
You can make your own Taco Spice for this recipe!
Have a delicious day!