A delicious and simple grilled cheese sandwich made with flavourful rich cheese and sweet fig jam. Gooey and delicious!
I’m so excited to be partnering with the Dairy Farmers of Canada over the upcoming year, as I feature a Canadian ‘Cheese of the Month’! Many people don’t realize that Canada has an exceptional range of award winning cheeses from different regions all across the country, so I’m excited to be able share a new and delicious Canadian cheese with you each month.
This month’s feature cheese is Heidi from The Farm House Natural Cheeses, a family farm located in the Fraser Valley in British Columbia. Heidi is an aged firm cheese with deep and rich flavours. Similar to Gruyere, Heidi is a fabulous melting cheese, making it perfect for grilled cheese sandwiches!
Is there any food more comforting than a grilled cheese sandwich? All warm and gooey with delicious melted cheese? It’s the food great memories were made from. I loved them as a kid, and I love them now as an adult, the only difference is that I like my grilled cheese a little more fancy. Is fancy the right word? I mean, a classic cheddar cheese grilled cheese sandwich on white bread can’t be beat, but I do love to try new cheeses and toppings.
Grilled Cheese with Fig Jam
I was inspired to make this fig jam and Heidi grilled cheese sandwich after a recent visit with my parents. For lunch one day my mom set out some crackers, fig jam and cheese for a snack, and I absolutely loved the flavour of the fig jam with the cheese. Since then, I haven’t been able to get this delicious pairing out of my mind. So when this Heidi cheese showed up at my door with the suggestion that it was perfect for grilled cheese, I knew just what kind of sandwich I wanted to make.
Just grate some cheese, spread on fig jam and you have a delicious grilled cheese sandwich the whole family will love! The rich creaminess of this Heidi cheese pairs perfectly with fig jam. They are a flavour match made in heaven.
Grilled Cheese with Fig Jam
- 4 slices bread
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp fig jam
- 2/3 cup shredded Heidi cheese (divided)
- Preheat your griddle to a low/medium heat.
- Butter the outsides of the 4 pieces of bread.
- Spread a tablespoon of fig jam onto the inside of one piece of bread.
- Add 1/3 of the shredded cheese, then cover with the other piece of bread.
- Repeat for the second sandwich.
- Cook the grilled cheese sandwiches on each side for about 3-5 minutes each side, until they are nice and golden brown. I like to flip the sandwich often so it doesn't burn.
- Serve right away. Enjoy!
- Tasting Notes: Heidi reaches its peak at one year, with deep and rich flavours paired with grassy notes.
- Pairs Well With: White chocolate, pale ales and a light red wine such as Merlot. YES please.
- Awards: 2015 Canadian Cheese Grand Prix in the Firm Cheese category
Have a delicious day!
Disclosure: This post was sponsored by Dairy Farmers of Canada. I will be working with Dairy Farmers of Canada over the next year to bring you some delicious recipe ideas that I have created! This recipe, all pictures and words are my own. I love cheese. 😉