It’s time for another edition of the Secret Recipe Club
! I have to say I really, really enjoy being a part of this.
It’s a chance for me to try new recipes and I love that!
Kristen is a SAHM to 5 kids, so she knows her cooking!
I didn’t know what to make, there were so many great recipes.
Chicken Tortilla Soup won the house votes, so one chilly night we enjoyed this yum-yummy dish!
It’s such a simple and tasty soup, so I really didn’t change much.
The only changes I made, I made because I just used what I had on hand.
But, I agree with Kristen, this is a very forgiving recipe, and you can play with it as you wish!
Chicken Tortilla Soup
4 green onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can chopped green chiles
1 bell pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
2 – 14 ounce cans tomatoes
2 -14 ounce cans chicken broth (or 4 cups homemade)
1 cup chopped cooked chicken
1/2 cup cooked corn (you could use frozen kernels)
1 – 8 ounce brick cream cheese
4 small corn tortillas, cut into about 2 inch slices
salt and pepper to taste
Garnish: fresh cilantro, sour cream, shredded cheese
- In a stock pot cook the onions, garlic, bell pepper and green chilis in the olive oil.
- When soft, add the tomatoes and chicken broth. Bring to a boil.
- Then add the cooked chicken and corn, then simmer on low to medium heat for about 20 minutes.
- Add the cream cheese, stirring to melt.
- Add the seasonings, and simmer about 10 more minutes.
- When you are ready to serve, add the sliced tortillas.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro, sour cream and cheese!
- I added the peppers and corn to the recipe.
- The original recipe called for can tomatoes with seasonings, but I like to use plain tomatoes, and add my own seasoning. I always keep a jar of my homemade Taco Seasoning in my pantry, and use it to season dishes like this. It added the perfect touch. If you wish to do this, start with about 1 tbsp, then season to taste.
This recipe is a keeper in our house now! Perfect for those chilly fall and winter nights!