This Pumpkin Spice French Toast just made your morning delicious! All the best flavours of fall in an easy and tasty breakfast recipe. Made with fresh pumpkin puree, and all the classic spices of pumpkin pie: cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves and vanilla.
Pumpkin in all the things! YES. I really truly do love pumpkin and how versatile it is…it’s great in pasta, granola bars, oatmeal and desserts like this pumpkin bread pudding. Don’t forget pumpkin spice lattes (oh my I love these), and porch decor and flower arrangements…I could go on and on! Pumpkin has really become the symbol of autumn hasn’t it? That’s a good thing.
About this recipe:
As you can see I like to use pumpkin in so much of my baking and cooking, so nothing is safe from a little pure pumpkin puree before it lands on the table. This French toast is made with fresh pumpkin puree, and has all the classic flavours of pumpkin pie: cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves and vanilla. The perfect fall breakfast.
Pumpkin Spice French Toast Recipe Tips
- PUMPKIN: Use fresh pumpkin puree, NOT pumpkin pie filling.
- BREAD: You can use any type of bread for French toast: regular white bread, thick slice, raisin bread, this homemade pumpkin bread, brioche, challah…so many options!
- MILK: Use 2%, whole milk or even heavy cream (depending on how rich you like it). You can also make this dairy free and use almond milk or oat milk.
- SUGAR: You can use granulated sugar, brown sugar or even maple syrup.
- SPICE: This recipe uses a homemade mixture of classic pumpkin pie spices, but if you have a pre-made spice you can use that too (about 1 – 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice, depending on what you like).
- MIXING THE EGG MIXTURE: I like to use a hand blender to mix together the milk, eggs and spices as it makes everything nice and creamy. You can use a whisk to do this part too.
- LEFTOVERS: Store any cooked French toast in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Or in the freezer for up to a month or so. Just reheat on the stove, in the microwave or toaster.
Serve this pumpkin french toast in a classic way with butter and syrup, with breakfast sausage, fruit or fruit salad, and whipped cream if you like (you should try the Maple Whipped Cream from these Pumpkin Sheet Pan Pancakes)! This recipe can also be easily doubled or tripled to feed a large crowd, which would make it a perfect Thanksgiving breakfast!
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do! Have a delicious day!