This Buttermilk French Toast is an easy, quick and delicious breakfast! The buttermilk adds a soft and tasty tang to classic french toast. It’s our favourite.
French Toast is one of our most favourite breakfasts and makes a regular appearance in our home on weekends. Serve with a pat of butter, syrup, fresh fruit, and for a special treat add whipped cream!
Growing up, I always looked forward to weekends when my Dad would make French Toast for breakfast. He would make the BEST French Toast. Our toast was always made with white bread and a simple mixture of milk and eggs. Not much has changed in how I make French Toast for my family now, except I do like to experiment with different types of bread. Basically, if I have any bread around that is drying out, it’s slated for French Toast. I’ve made it with sourdough bread, cinnamon chip bread, whole wheat, brioche and even old hamburger buns. It’s actually a really great way to use up old bread.
I also like to switch up the milk I use to make French Toast. Most times I will make it with regular milk because that’s what I have around. But I also really love French Toast made with buttermilk. The buttermilk adds a soft, creamy and slightly tangy flavour to the toast. It’s delicious. I would actually say it’s the best way to make French Toast!
Serve your Buttermilk French Toast with pats of butter, syrup and a selection of fresh fruit, bacon and sausages. Brunch perfection.
Buttermilk French Toast
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp sugar more if you like
- 1 loaf of sliced bread we like a thicker sliced bread for french toast
- Preheat a skillet on medium heat.
- In a bowl whisk together the buttermilk, eggs and sugar.
- Dip the sliced bread into the milk/egg mixture, coating each side. If you like your french toast firm, coat your bread quickly. If you like it a little less firm (soggy), soak it.
- Cook on skillet for about 4 minutes per side, until each side is golden brown.
- Serve with butter and syrup.
More Delicious Breakfast Ideas:
Have a delicious day!