This Saskatoon Berry Galette is a delicious dessert idea that uses a really great baking shortcut!
Desserts don’t have to be complicated! In fact taking baking shortcuts once in a while can be just what the chef ordered. One such shortcut that I will ALWAYS use, is to buy pre-made packages of puff pastry. Because honestly, why would anyone make their own? I mean I do understand why, but the bought puff pastries are just as delicious and waaaaaay less work. So because of that I always like to keep a couple of packages in my freezer for last minute desserts like rustic pies or galettes. Galettes are perfect for baking up any fresh fruit, or you can add pie filling…they’re just so simple and versatile to use. Our favourite galette is the Strawberry Rustic Pie (or Galette), but I’ve also made a Strawberry, Rhubarb, Apple Rustic Pie. And just recently I made this Saskatoon Berry Galette.
Galettes are SO simple to make!
This summer my mom sent me home with some packages of homemade Saskatoon Berry Pie Filling that she made, and one day when I opened my freezer I saw them sitting there right next to the puff pastry. *insert dessert lightbulb* So I unthawed both and made this galette, and it was delicious. I mean just look at it.
- Berry Filling: you can use either flour or corn starch as a thickener.
- Crust: This recipe uses a pre-made sheet of puff pastry.
- Parchment Paper: I add a sheet of parchment to a cookie sheet before baking. Lightly flour the parchment paper.
- Filling: f you think that there might be too much filling for the pastry, don’t add it all. Use any remaining filling to add on to a scoop of ice cream!
- Serve this galette slightly warm with a scoop (or two) of vanilla ice cream…dessert heaven.
More delicious Saskatoon Berry recipes:
Have a delicious day!