These Dad’s Cookies are a family favourite! This large batch cookie recipe makes buttery, soft and decadent cookies.
A new cookie for your cookie jar!
If you’re looking for a sweet, crunchy-yet-soft, and buttery cookie, these Dad’s cookies are it! Made soft with oats and shredded coconut, these cookies are sure to be a hit!
Why are they called Dad’s Cookies?
Well, honestly I’m not even sure. We’ve just been calling them that since I was a kid when my Mom made them…maybe it’s because they were Dad’s favourite? I know your first thought is that it must be because they’re a ‘Dad’s Cookies’ copycat, but they’re not really…they’re quite different than the store bought kind. These are more delicious I think!
About This Recipe
- Oats: I use quick oats for these cookies. Rolled oats are too big.
- Coconut: Use shredded sweet coconut.
- Freezing: These cookies freeze well. Store them in an air-tight ziplock in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- About these cookies: These cookies do spread out more than most cookies, but that’s what they’re supposed to do! They’re supposed to be somewhat thin (not as thick as chocolate chip cookies). Chill the dough first, then make sure that your oven is well preheated, and don’t flatten the dough balls too much before baking.
- Shaping the dough: To make sure these cookies don’t spread out too thin, roll the dough into a ball, and lightly flatten the tops…you don’t want to squish the cookie too much. See the picture below as an example.
PIN IT for later!
Have a delicious day!
Note: This recipe was originally published in May 2011. I have since updated this post with new images and recipe tips! Same great recipe, just more info for you!