This Rustic Free-Form Strawberry Pie is the easiest dessert to prepare! Made with a pre-made puff pastry crust and a simple fresh strawberry filling.
Ok, this pie is so easy to make it should be illegal. I almost feel guilty even putting the recipe up, but I’m all for keeping things simple. And if it can be simple and delicious, it’s a win-win!
Let’s just say there is none left. Actually there is one piece that I tucked away for my bestie who is coming over for coffee this morning! But I practically had to threaten my family with torture if they touched it.
Anyway, this is a super easy, super delicious dessert! It would be fabulous for entertaining because it’s beautiful and it looks like you spent all day making it. And it’s perfect for all those in-season strawberries!
Rustic Free-Form Strawberry Pie
- 1 - 12 x 12 inch sheet frozen puff pastry thawed
- 5 cups strawberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp water
- extra sugar
- 2 tbsp apricot jelly for glazing
- Preheat your oven to 475 degrees.
- Line a cookie sheet with a piece of parchment paper.
- Lightly flour the parchment paper, then roll out the puff pastry to loosely form a circle shape. It doesn't have to be perfect, this is a rustic pie remember! Set aside.
- Cut up the strawberries, either in halves or thirds.
- Place the strawberries in a bowl, and mix them with the sugar and cornstarch.
- Pile the strawberries onto the centre of the pastry.
- Fold the edges of the pastry over to cover the outer edge of the fruit pile. Overlap as needed.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the egg and 1 tbsp of water. Then using this mixture, brush the pastry.
- Sprinkle the extra sugar on to the pastry.
- Place the pie into the oven, then immediately turn down the heat to 375 degrees.
- Bake for 40 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown.
- When the pie is done baking, remove it from the oven, and now it is time to add the glaze.
- Heat up the apricot jam for about 30 seconds in the microwave, then brush it onto the pie.
- Let your pie sit for a while before serving.
- Serve with ice cream or whipping cream!
Recipe adapted from Chatelaine
What are you baking today?