Sweet vanilla cake muffins with strawberry and rhubarb, and a delicious pecan streusel topping.
For me, one of the first sure signs that spring baking can start is the appearance of rhubarb in the grocery store. I can only seem to get my hands on this fruit this time of year, then it’s gone. Side note…maybe I should grow one in my garden! I know so many that do, and most of these plants are cuttings from their grandmothers, who got it from their grandmothers and so on. There’s something so nostalgic about rhubarb!
Rhubarb is an amazing fruit. It’s tartness (and it is tart, whoa) pairs so well with strawberries. Last weekend, for Mother’s Day I made a Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp that was gobbled up in 10 seconds flat. So delicious!
But one of my most favourite recipes to make with rhubarb are Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins.
They’re baked with a little pecan streusel topping…muffin perfection!Print
Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins
- Yield: 12 muffins 1x
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt (or you can use sour cream)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup diced rhubarb & strawberries combined
Pecan Streusel Topping:
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp melted butter or margarine
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- First make your streusel: Just combine the pecans, sugar, cinnamon and melted butter, then set aside.
- Now to make the muffins: In a mixer combine the yogurt, oil and egg. Mix well then set aside.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt.
- Then add the rhubarb & strawberries and the yogurt mixture, and stir until just combined.
- Line a muffin tin with 12 muffin liners, and fill each cup about 2/3 full.
- Add a spoonful of the streusel mixture to the tops of each muffin (distribute it evenly between the 12 muffins).
- Bake for about 25 minutes.
Recipe adapted from Best of Bridge
So what’s your food sign of spring or summer? What’s that one food or dish that means the summer season has arrived? I’d love to know!
For more delicious rhubarb recipes, have a look at these!