This Turkey Tortilla Bake is a delicious and easy dinner idea! Ready in less than 1 hour!
– – – – – –
Hey everybody! I hope you all had a great weekend! We had a snowy one…very very snowy. Enough already Mother Nature! 🙂 But that also means it’s perfect weather to get into the kitchen! And into the kitchen I went…and again I’ve been cookin’ up some turkey!
You may have noticed that we’re big fans of turkey over here! And not just for the big holidays either. I love how lean and versatile turkey is, so I like to use it in all kinds of recipes as an alternative to other meats! I know it may be hard to wrap your mind around turkey for everyday dinners, but that needs to stop! 🙂
Turkey is perfect for easy weeknight meals like this one: Turkey Tortilla Bake
This dish is so creamy, cheesy and bursting with Mexican flavours! SO good. It is a major hit in our house!
Gone. Gobble gobble gobbled up! Yep. I went there. 😉Print
- 1 boneless (skinless turkey breast)
- 2 cups sour cream (regular or low fat)
- 1 1/4 cups shredded cheese (I like to use Monterey Jack)
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 – 4 oz can green chilies
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- fresh ground pepper
- 8 – 6 inch corn tortillas
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 3/4 cup shredded cheese
- fresh cilantro for garnish
- extra salsa for topping
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the turkey breast into a saucepan, cover it with water, and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat, and simmer until the turkey is cooked through, about 10-15 minutes.
- When the turkey is cooked, remove it from the pan, and cut it into bite sized pieces.
- In a separate bowl, combine the sour cream, 1 1/4 cups shredded cheese, 1/2 cup salsa, green chilis, cumin and pepper.
- Add the chopped turkey, and combine. Set aside.
- Lightly oil a rectangle baking dish (8.5×11). I like to spray it lightly with a cooking oil spray.
- Cut the tortillas into 2 inch wide strips, then line the bottom of the baking dish with half of the cut pieces.
- Spread out half of the turkey mixture onto the tortilla pieces.
- Then add the remaining tortilla pieces, evenly lined up over the turkey mix.
- Spread out the remaining turkey mix.
- Sprinkle on 3/4 cup shredded cheese and the chopped cilantro.
- Cover the dish with tin foil and bake for 30 minutes. After this time, remove the foil and bake for 30 minutes more.
- Let the bake rest for 5-10 minutes, and serve with fresh cilantro and salsa!
This recipe is a perfect way to use up left over turkey too!
Recipe adapted from The Newlywed Cookbook
Serve it up with fresh cilantro and salsa, and dinner is served! Yum. I hope you try this and love it!
Disclosure: I was compensated by the Turkey Farmers of Canada in exchange for writing this post, but as always, all thoughts and words here on my blog, are always, always my own. Truly. If you are looking for other great turkey recipe ideas, you can find them at the Turkey Farmers of Canada website or Facebook page!