Fresh strawberry and rhubarb mixed into a cinnamon swirl vanilla cake base, make up this delicious Strawberry Rhubarb Loaf! I really should have called it a Strawberry Rhubarb Cinnamon Swirl Cake. YES
I love this time of year when rhubarb plants are ready for eating. Rhubarb to me is as natural in spring as tulips are. The plants are getting huge in my garden just waiting to be cut up and put into desserts! I love rhubarb. You? It’s an acquired taste so they say, but I think really what it is, is that people are scared of rhubarb because they don’t know what to do with it, or how delicious it tastes. Or they have never tried it. I’m always amazed when I come across people who have never tried rhubarb, or have never heard of it before. And this happens quite a bit, especially in grocery stores. More often than not I have to explain to the clerk what rhubarb is, and that yes you can eat it. I always get strange looks when I say it’s amazing with strawberries…because it is. It really really is. In fact you’d be hard pressed to attend one of our family events without at least some dessert with rhubarb in it…like Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp, or Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins or Strawberry Rhubarb Jam. So gosh darn delicious!
About this loaf:
And now it’s time again for baking with rhubarb so I’m putting rhubarb in all the things. 😉 Starting with his scrumptious Strawberry Rhubarb Loaf. I just knew that my Cinnamon Swirl Loaf would be the perfect base for this loaf. Oh, and was it ever. The best ever. This is a sweet vanilla cake base with a cinnamon swirl and bites of rhubarb and strawberries. And wow, is it delicious.
A Keeper Recipe!
This loaf is delicious served with tea or coffee for breakfast or with ice cream for dessert. It’s sweet, moist and full of gorgeous strawberry and rhubarb flavours. This recipe my friends, it’s a keeper. I can’t even tell you how delicious it is…and how it will send the most mouthwatering smells wafting through your home. And how every creature in your home will wander down in their sleep deprived states asking what’s cooking and when do they get to eat it. Ask me how I know.
Strawberry Rhubarb Loaf Recipe Tips:
- PAN SIZE: I use a standard loaf pan (1 lb. Pan: 8″ x 4 1/2″ x 2 3/4″ high)
- Cinnamon/Sugar Mix: when you’re making this loaf you may feel like there is too much cinnamon/sugar mix, but trust me, use it all. Just divide it evenly between the centre of the loaf and the crust.
- PREPARE THE PAN: Make sure to line your loaf pan with parchment or wax paper.
- LET IT REST: Allow the loaf to rest for at least 1 hour before eating it.
- OPTION: This recipe is also really good with just all rhubarb (and no strawberries).
- FREEZING: This loaf freezes well. Store in an airtight container or ziplock bag for up to 3 months.
- Make Muffins! This recipe is also great for making muffins…see below for details.
Make Muffins Instead:
I used this recipe to make muffins as well! If you would like to make muffins, just divide the batter between 16 muffin cups! Fill each muffin cup 1/2 full, sprinkle about 1 tsp of the cinnamon/sugar mix, then top up with batter, and sprinkle with more cinnamon sugar. Bake at 350 degrees F for ~20 minutes.
Strawberry Rhubarb Recipes
Thank you for PINNING!
Have a delicious day!