Fresh strawberry and rhubarb mixed into a cinnamon swirl vanilla cake base, make up this delicious Strawberry Rhubarb Loaf!
I love this time of year when rhubarb plants are ready for eating. Rhubarb to me is as natural in the spring as tulips are. The plants are getting huge in the garden just waiting to be cut up and put into desserts! I love rhubarb. You? It’s an acquired taste so they say, but I think really what it is, is that people are scared of rhubarb because they don’t know what to do with it, or how delicious it tastes. Or they have never tried it. I’m always amazed when I come across people who have never tried rhubarb, or have never heard of it before. And this happens quite a bit, especially in grocery stores. More often than not I have to explain to the clerk what rhubarb is, and that yes I’m sure you can eat it. I always get strange looks when I say it’s amazing with strawberries…because it is. It really really is. In fact you’d be hard pressed to attend one of our family events without at least some dessert with rhubarb in it…like Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp, or Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins or Strawberry Rhubarb Jam. So gosh darn delicious!
Delicious Cinnamon Swirl Base
And now it’s time again for baking with rhubarb! Woohoo! I’m putting rhubarb in all the things. 😉 So I got busy in my kitchen this weekend making this scrumptious Strawberry Rhubarb Loaf, after a reader (thanks Stephanie!) asked me if I had a good loaf recipe for these ingredients. I had never made a Strawberry Rhubarb Loaf before…what?! How is that even possible? I’m up for a good challenge and made one. I just knew that my Cinnamon Swirl Loaf would be the perfect base for this loaf. Oh, and was it ever. The best ever.
A Keeper Recipe!
This loaf is delicious served with tea or coffee for breakfast or with ice cream for dessert. It’s sweet, moist and full of gorgeous strawberry and rhubarb flavours. This recipe my friends, it’s a keeper. I can’t even tell you how delicious it is…and how it will send the most mouthwatering smells wafting through your home. And how every creature in your home will wander down in their sleep deprived states asking what’s cooking and when do they get to eat it. Ask me how I know.
- Pan Size: I use a standard loaf pan (1 lb. Pan: 8″ x 4 1/2″ x 2 3/4″ high)
- Cinnamon/Sugar Mix: when you’re making this loaf you may feel like there is too much cinnamon/sugar mix, but trust me, use it all. Just divide it evenly between the centre of the loaf and the crust.
- Make sure to line your loaf pan with parchment or wax paper.
- Allow the loaf to rest for at least 1 hour before eating it.
- This recipe is also really good with just all rhubarb (and no strawberries).
- This loaf freezes well.
- Make Muffins! This recipe is also great for making muffins…see below for details.
Strawberry Rhubarb Loaf
Fresh strawberry and rhubarb mixed into a cinnamon swirl cake base, make up this delicious Strawberry Rhubarb Loaf!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Total Time: 80 minutes
- Yield: 1 loaf 1x
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup butter milk
- 1 1/2 cups combined of chopped strawberries and rhubarb
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare a 1 lb loaf pan (~ 9 x 5 x 3): either grease it, or line with wax or parchment paper.
- Combine the 2 tbsp cinnamon and 1/3 cup sugar, and set aside.
- In a mixer, cream the butter and sugar until smooth.
- Add the eggs and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In measuring cup mix together the buttermilk and vanilla.
- Add the flour mix, alternating with the buttermilk, to the butter mix. Combine.
- Stir in the chopped strawberries and rhubarb.
- Add 1/2 of the batter to the loaf pan, then sprinkle on 1/2 of the cinnamon/sugar mix. Then using a fork, stir it a little into the batter.
- Add the rest of the batter and sprinkle on the rest of the cinnamon/sugar mix. Stir again, just a little.
- Bake for ~ 60 – 75 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
This recipe is also really good with just all rhubarb (and no strawberries).
Keywords: strawberry rhubarb loaf
Make Muffins Instead!
I used this recipe to make muffins as well! If you would like to make muffins, just divide the batter between 16 muffin cups! Fill each muffin cup 1/2 full, sprinkle about 1 tsp of the cinnamon/sugar mix, then top up with batter, and sprinkle with more cinnamon sugar. Bake at 350 degrees for ~20 minutes.
Thank you for PINNING!