What’s For Dinner? Sweet Potato Latkes
Oh how I love these tasty little latkes! They are a great side dish with prime rib or steak…add a little dollop of sour cream…heaven!
Worth the effort. Healthy. Delish! My kind of food!
Sweet Potato Latkes
- 1 lb sweet potato or yam (peeled & grated)
- 1 onion (grated)
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 3 sliced green onions
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp curry (optional)
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Combine the grated sweet potato, grated onion, and lemon juice. Put the mixture into a towel and squeeze out all the moisture.
- Then put it all into a bowl and add the eggs, green onions, flour and spices. Combine.
There are 2 ways you can cook these:
- You can cook them in a frying pan, using 1/4 cup vegetable oil for frying OR
- We like to use a pancake griddle, and lightly spray it with Pam. Uses a fraction of the oil, and works just as well!
Now it’s time to cook them:
- Just scoop large spoonfuls of mix, and flatten them with a spatula.
- Fry for about 2-3 minutes per side.
- If you want to make the whole batch up at the same time, put the cooked latkes in a 300 degree oven until dinner time!
Don’t make the latkes too big, or they won’t cook properly.
I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!
Oh my goodness, these look so good!! It makes me want to make them. Guess I need to run to the grocery store! My family loves latkes, but we haven’t tried it with sweet potatoes. (Why? I have no idea.) Thanks for sharing! I saw your post on Not Just a Housewife’s “Show Me What You Got” and am now following your blog.
Wow, that looks absolutely delicious! Thanks for sharing!
YUM!! I just had a sweet potatoe today for lunch-they are so easy and delish. I’ll try this out next time. :o)
These look delicious! Thank you for sharing!!
I always forget the step of squeezing out the moisture…maybe that’s why mine were soggy…LOL…thanks for linking up to Creative Juice Thursday.
oh man, Ive tried to make these before but can’t get them to come out right. I’ll have to try it again .
Yum, these look so delicious!! Thanks for sharing the recipe.
YUM! These look great! We make the regular ones for Hanukkah every year, but I’ve been dying to try sweet potato.
Hi Jo Anna,
I can hardly wait to try your Sweet Potato Latkes, they look so beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing them with Full Plate Thursday and please come back!
Lovely…I so enjoy sweet potatoes but get tired of making them the same way each week. This will twist things up!
I’m one of thos weird people who usually steers clear of sweet potatoes…I have no excuses, I know. I WANT to eat them because they are good for you. I may just have to try this recipe and see if it doesn’t cure my aversion to sweet potatoes.
This is fantastic, I have to try this soon! Visiting from Momnivore’s Dilemma and I am a new follower!
Have a great evening!
Congratulations Jo Anna,
You are featured on Full Plate Thursday this week 3-10-11. In addition you will also be featured on Whats For Dinner Next Week 3-13-11. Be sure to pick up your Red Plate and Enjoy!
Pretty section of content. I just stumbled upon your site and in accession
capital to assert that I acquire actually enjoyed account your blog posts.
Anyway I will be subscribing to your feeds and even
I achievement you access consistently quickly.