These Summer Sunshine Cookies are a fun addition to your cookie jar this summer! Delicious chewy coconut oatmeal cookies made festive for summer with the addition of brightly coloured chocolate candies.
With summer right at our doorstep and the kids home for the holidays, it’s time to fill the cookie jar! Make these festive and fun cookies for summer by adding colourful polka dots or flowers made out of candy coated chocolate.
Who’s excited to not be making school lunches for 2 months?! This gal right here. Even though I am relieved not to have to make school lunches every morning for a while, having the kids home just means I have to be prepared in a different way. Kids home for 8 weeks means I have to rethink my meal and snack plans.
To avoid the “Can I have a snack?” question a million times throughout the summer, I like to fill the fridge and pantry with easy to grab snacks like granola bars, fruit, yogurt and cheese, and I also like to fill the cookie jar. There must be a supply of cookies 😉
These Summer Sunshine Cookies are a fun summer treat for the kids. They’re loaded with oats and coconut, then decorated with fun and bright coloured chocolate coated candies. A perfect summer snack…they’re great for picnics and beach days too!
Get the kids involved!
You can even make the creation of these cookies a fun summer activity for the kids. Get all the ingredients together, let the kids mix the batter, and then they can have fun decorating!
So so cute. And delicious.
Sunshine on a cookie. And pretty summer flowers.
Summer Sunshine Cookies
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups oats I use quick oats
- 3/4 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- candy coated chocolate I used mini M&M's
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- With a mixer, cream together the butter and sugars.
- Add the egg, then vanilla.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, oats and coconut.
- Then add the flour mixture to butter mix, and combine thoroughly.
- Form into walnut sized balls, and lightly press down with a fork.
Decorating your cookies:
- To make the Yellow Polka Dot Cookies: add the M&M candies to the cookies before baking them. Make sure to place the candies as close together as possible so they spread out nicely during baking...refer to the image below: Bake for about 12 minutes.
- To make the Flower Cookies: bake the cookies without any M&M's (bake for about 12 minutes). After the cookies are done baking let them rest for about 3 minutes, then press the candies into the centre of the cookie in the shape of flowers.
More delicious and fun summer treats!
- Peanut Butter Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Easy Strawberry Jello Poke Cake
- 12 Different Kinds of Homemade Juice Popsicles
- Homemade Fudgesicles
Have a delicious day!