This Blueberry Buttermilk Breakfast Cake is a delicious way to use up some fresh or frozen blueberries! It’s so good!
– – – – – –
Oh I’m so happy you are here! I wish you could smell my kitchen right now though. It’s heaven. Sweet vanilla and blueberry baked heaven. With sugar on top. The smells of a freshly baked Blueberry Buttermilk Breakfast Cake. Yes.
There’s just something about the middle of winter that has me dreaming of blueberries. They are after all, the quintessential summer berry, so I guess it would seem fitting to crave them as much as I crave the arrival of summer.
So in my quest to leave winter even just for a moment, I figured a Blueberry Buttermilk Cake was in order. But of course.
And then when it’s done baking, you cut into your cake and dig right into the very middle of it for the best piece ever. No sides, just a delicious inside piece. Because life is too short not to.
This recipe is actually one I have blogged before, and had initially made into muffins. But today I wanted to bake the recipe into a cake. I don’t regret my decision. 😉
Blueberry Buttermilk Breakfast Cake
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 tsp flour
- 1 - 2 tbsp sugar for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- With a mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until creamy.
- Add the eggs, and one at a time.
- Add the vanilla. Mix well.
- To the butter mix, add 1/3 of the flour mix, then 1/2 of the buttermilk. Repeat until all combined.
- In a bowl, gently toss the blueberries with 1 tsp of flour. This will make sure that the blueberries don't stain the cake batter.
- Gently stir the blueberries into the cake batter. Don't use a mixer, just hand mix it with a spoon, being careful not to mash the blueberries.
- Pour/press the batter into a 9x9 baking pan.
- Sprinkle the cake with 1 - 2 tbsp of granulated sugar.
- Bake for 50 - 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
– – –
Serve it for breakfast. Serve it for lunch or dessert. What ever your heart desires.
I thought it would be fun to give you a little glimpse into the behind the scenes of when I’m taking pictures of food and getting ready to put together my blog post. Don’t you love my hi-tech whiteboard and icing sugar bucket stand? Oh and I see my half eaten lunch there too. I always laugh at myself and the gigantic mess that becomes my home when I’m in the middle of creating something. What is it they say…a messy home is the sign of a creative mind? I guess I’m creative? Hahaha Don’t be fooled…you really should see my kitchen too, it’s in a state.
Anyway, I hope you enjoy this recipe! As always, have a delicious day!
– – – – – – – – – –
For more delicious blueberry recipes try these: