Make this Easy Slow Cooker / Crockpot Borscht for dinner tonight! This soup is loaded with healthy vegetables. Add a dollop of sour cream and some fresh dill and you have yourself a delicious meal!
We’ve had the coldest fall I can remember. September came in like November, with grey skies and snow. I was really hoping for a sunshiny and warm September that would make it feel like summer had been extended for a few weeks, but that’s not what we got, and that’s ok. The one good thing about this weather is that it inspires me to get out my crockpot and make warm & hearty meals like this Borscht.
I originally found this Borscht recipe in the cookbook The 163 Best Paleo Slow Cooker Recipes by Judith Finlayson, and have made it quite a few times over the years. With a few revisions made over time, this recipe is now one of my most favourite soup recipes. It’s hearty, healthy and so easy to make. And as a major bonus, everyone in my family also loves it…even our pickiest eater!
This soup is chock full of vegetables…beets, carrots, onions, garlic and potatoes. Top it off with dollop of sour cream and some fresh dill and you the most delicious soup. So, so, so gooooood!
Look at that gorgeous beet colour! So healthy and so good. I hope you try this recipe and enjoy it as much as we do.
I also love that this soup makes a BIG batch. I freeze half for busy winter nights.
Easy Slow Cooker / Crockpot Borscht
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 4 carrots peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cracked black peppercorns
- 1 - 28 oz can chopped tomatoes with the juice
- 5 medium beets peeled and diced
- 2 medium potatoes peeled and diced
- 4 cups vegetable stock beef stock works nice too
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 4 cups finely shredded cabbage
- sour cream
- finely chopped fresh dill
- In a skillet, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onions, celery and carrots, and cook, stirring often, until softened. About 5 - 7 minutes.
- Add the garlic, salt and peppercorns and cook for about 1 minute.
- Transfer the carrot/onion/celery mixture to your slow cooker.
- Add and stir in the tomatoes and juices, beets, potato and stock.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours, or on high for 3 hours, or until the vegetables are tender.
- After this time add the vinegar, and cabbage, mix well and cook on high for 20 - 30 minutes more.
Option: A Smooth or Chunky Borscht:
- Option #1: Once the borscht is done cooking you can serve it as is. The soup base will be clear and the vegetables chunky.
- Option #2: If you prefer a more smooth borscht you can puree the entire soup.
- Option #3 (my favourite): Scoop out half of the cooked vegetables, and puree the remaining vegetables and broth. Then add back the scoop of vegetables.
Recipe adapted from The 163 Best Paleo Slow Cooker Recipes by Judith Finlayson, www.robertrose.ca
– – – – – – – –
Have a delicious day!
This post was originally published in 2013, but I have recently updated it with new pictures!