How to Cook Acorn Squash. Acorn squash is delicious when roasted with butter, sugar and rosemary! Makes an excellent (and easy) side dish!
Let’s talk squash. It seems as though when it comes to squash people are either in the ‘love it’ or ‘hate it’ camp…there’s just no in between. But I think the reason people think they don’t like squash is because of the way it’s been cooked. Convert a squash-hater with this delicious and easy recipe for roasted squash…it’s the butter, sugar and rosemary that really make this dish!
I grew up eating acorn squash cooked like this…my Mom always roasted it with butter and sugar…it’s the best. The squash becomes rich and flavourful and when it’s cooked and pureed with butter, sugar and rosemary, the flavour is amazing.
Not only is roasting squash delicious…it’s easy too. Don’t waste your time peeling and cutting raw squash, roast it in halves…so easy and so good. Never boil squash again.
How to Cook Acorn Squash
- 1 acorn squash
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp fresh rosemary leaves
- salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut the acorn quash in half then scrape out the seeds and stringy pieces.
- Place the halves into a baking dish with the cut side up (like in the pictures), then add some water to the bottom of the pan (about a 1/2 cup).
- Add 2 tbsp of butter, 1 tbsp of brown sugar and 1 tsp of rosemary into the middle of each of the halves of squash. This is especially delicious if you are eating them as a side dish. Just mix it in together with the squash after roasting.
- Cover the squash in tin foil.
- Bake for about 2 hours. Some take longer than others, depending on the density of the squash. Just check them at the 1 hour mark to see if the flesh is soft and roasted.
- After roasting, use a spoon to scoop out the cooked squash.
- Using a mixer or hand blender puree the squash (make sure to get the melted butter, sugar and rosemary in there) and enjoy as a side dish.
More Delicious Side Dish Recipes:
- Roasted Brown Sugar & Rosemary Squash Wedges
- Roasted Cauliflower
- Slow Cooker Roasted Beets
- Festive Onion Casserole
- Parsnip Puree
Have a delicious day!