These Chocolate Beet Cupcakes are rich, moist and full of chocolate flavour!
Baking with beets? YES.
I love beets, so when I saw this recipe in the magazine, Chatelaine, I knew I had to try it. I needed to know what beets in a chocolate cupcake would be like…and also I love the idea of disguising superfoods in desserts. If my kids love them and they don’t know there are beets in the cupcake they’re eating, I’m all for it!
Seriously, look at the colour of this batter! So pretty.
These cupcakes are rich, moist and full of delicious chocolate flavour!Print
Chocolate Beet Cupcakes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 12 cupcakes 1x
- 1 – 398 mL can rosebud beets (or fresh – see tips)
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 container vanilla icing
- Drain beets. Rinse and pat dry. Puree in a blender or food processor. Set aside.
- Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, soda and salt. Set aside.
- Beat sugar and oil for about 2 minutes.
- Add egg. Beat.
- Then add beets and vanilla.
- Gradually beat in 1/3 of the flour mix, then 1/2 buttermilk. Repeat until all combined.
- Divide batter into 12 muffin cups (filling each cup about 3/4 full).
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 20-25 minutes.
- Cool in pan for 15 minutes, then remove to a rack to cool completely before icing.