Baking with beets? YES. These Chocolate Beet Cupcakes with vanilla icing are rich, moist and full of chocolate flavour!
If you’re looking for a new recipe to enjoy beets, why not try these Chocolate Beet Cupcakes? They’re a delicious twist on a classic chocolate cupcake.
Beets + Chocolate
I love beets, so when I saw this recipe for Chocolate Beet Cupcakes in the magazine Chatelaine, I knew I had to try it. I needed to know what beets in a chocolate cupcake would be like…and also I love the idea of disguising superfoods in desserts. If my kids love them and they don’t know there are beets in the cupcake they’re eating, I’m all for it!
So, what do they taste like?
These Chocolate Beet Cupcakes are rich, moist and full of delicious chocolate flavour! And yes, you can taste the beets…they add a little earthy flavour to the cupcakes. If you like beets, then you know that taste…and works in these cupcakes. They’re tasty!
- Beets: You can use canned or cooked fresh beets too (peeled and cooled)!
- Cocoa Powder: Use a high quality cocoa powder for maximum chocolate flavour (like a Dutch processed cocoa)
- Let them rest. We found these cupcakes tasted better after they sat for a couple of hours. Letting them rest allows the flavours to come together.
- Add icing. Without a doubt, icing is a must! The icing adds a nice, sweet contrast to the cupcake. I just used a pre-made vanilla frosting for these cupcakes, but you can use a homemade frosting (vanilla or chocolate both work). This Marshmallow Buttercream or Cream Cheese Frosting would be delicious too!
- Frosting Tip! Save a little of the beet juice from the can, and add it to the vanilla frosting to make a nice pink icing!
PIN IT for later!
Have a delicious day!