This Creamy Butternut Squash Pasta is a healthy and delicious dinner. It’s creamy and so flavourful!
– – – – – –
I have been craving a butternut squash sauce since fall hit us. I can’t even explain where my cravings come from sometimes, but I don’t question them and just go with it. So I gathered my butternut squash from my fall home decor and got busy in the kitchen. Yes you read that right…squash make great fall decorations, and the great thing is you can eat them when you’re done with them, it’s a win-win!
Butternut squash is such a versatile squash, and you can use it in so many different recipes. The flavour and texture makes it a perfect squash to substitute in any recipe that requires pumpkin. I’ve used it in my pumpkin spice loaf, in bread, puff side dishes, biscuits, and soup. Actually, I have to say that I made a pie using butternut squash puree, and honestly, it was better than any pumpkin pie I’d ever had. It was delicious. Anyway, let’s get back to this pasta. You’re going to want to try it.
So this pasta, let me tell you about it. First just have a look, is your mouth watering yet? This pasta is so creamy and delicious…it met all of my cravings. Spaghetti noodles and a creamy butternut squash sauce with flavours of sage and parmesan cheese. This was a dish that was loved by all members at my table, the kids devoured it!
For this particular dish I used butternut squash puree that I made from roasted squash, but you could also make it with boiled and mashed butternut squash. I just like the flavour of roasted squash better, I find it a bit richer and full, but if you’re pinched for time boiling it is fine too!
Then serve it over your favourite pasta, and with loads of extra parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
Creamy Butternut Squash Pasta
- 1 cups medium sized butternut squash roasted (makes about 4 of pureed squash)
- 1 large onion minced
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp ground sage
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- spaghetti noodles
- For this recipe I like to roast the butternut squash first. I find it has the best flavour.
- Cut the butternut squash in half lengthwise, and scrape out the seeds. Lay the 2 halves on a baking sheet, cover with tin foil, and roast in a 400 degree oven for about 1 1/2 hours.
- Once the squash is roasted, use a spoon and scrape out the insides, putting them into a blender.
- Puree the squash until it is smooth. Set aside.
- In a large, deep skillet, melt the butter over low - medium heat.
- Add the onions and garlic and saute until soft.
- Stir in the ground sage, and cook for about one minute.
- Add the butternut squash puree, and stir.
- Turn down the heat to low.
- Whisk in the whole milk. Depending on how thick the sauce is, you may need to add more.
- Stir in the parmesan cheese until it melts.
- Salt & pepper to taste.
- Toss with your favourite pasta and serve with extra parmesan cheese.
Recipe adapted from Skinnytaste
– – – –