These Creamy Smothered Pork Chops are tender and so delicious after lightly simmering in a creamy and flavourful sauce. Serve over egg noodles. Ready in less than 1 hour.
One hour weeknight meals are my jam. If I can get a healthy and delicious meal on the table in less than 1 hour I’m a happy Mom. So when I have a recipe that I think you’ll love too, I have to share it! These Creamy Smothered Pork Chops are that kind of recipe.
A One-Dish Recipe
What I love most about this recipe, aside from the fact that it’s SO delicious, is that you make everything in one dish. Sear the chops, saute the vegetables and simmer the creamy sauce all in one pan…making clean up so simple. Ok…full disclosure…you will need one more pan to boil the noodles in 😉
Ready in under 1 hour!
But really, this is such a quick and easy meal to make. With just a few minutes of prep, you’re less than an hour away from a delicious dinner.
The end result is tender pork chops in a creamy sauce that’s delicious over egg noodles.
- Pork Chops: You can use bone-in or boneless chops.
- Seasoning: Make sure to generously season the pork chops before you sear them. I use salt and pepper. I have also used seasoning salt which is delicious.
- You can use sour cream or Greek yogurt in this recipe. Both are delicious.
- Onions: I like to use sweet onions in this recipe…they are sweet and flavourful.
- Wine: The addition of wine is optional, but I never leave it out as it add such delicious flavour. If you don’t want to add wine, use broth instead.
- Mushrooms: As always, mushrooms are optional. Frozen peas are a delicious alternative.
- Noodles: Egg noodles are the best with this dish, but you can use any noodle you like.
- Serving: This dish is best served right away.
- Side dishes for Smothered Pork Chops: rice, egg noodles or mashed potatoes, green beans, or salad.
- How to Store Leftovers: Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
- Can I double this recipe? You can easily double this recipe. So invite some friends over on a weekend and enjoy this simple-to-make dish over a glass of wine!
Creamy Smothered Pork Chops
These Creamy Smothered Pork Chops are tender and so delicious after lightly simmering in a creamy and flavourful sauce. Serve over egg noodles.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Pork
- Method: Stovetop
- 6 bone-in pork chops (about 1 inch thick)
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 large sweet onion (sliced)
- 3 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 – 298 mL can of chicken broth
- ¼ cup white wine (optional: you can use more chicken broth or water instead)
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 2 green onions (chopped)
- In a skillet on medium-high heat, warm up 1 tbsp olive oil.
- Season the pork chops generously with salt and fresh ground pepper, on both sides.
- Add the pork chops to the skillet and sear on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. They should look golden brown. BUT you don’t want to fully cook them at this stage, you’re just searing the outsides.
- Remove the pork chops and transfer them to a plate.
- Using the same skillet melt 2 tbsp butter.
- Add the sliced onions, minced garlic and sliced mushrooms, and cook until soft and the moisture from the mushrooms has cooked off.
- Add the dried thyme and flour to the onion mixture, mix well and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the chicken broth and wine, and simmer until the sauce thickens. Make sure to scrape up and stir in all the good brown bits from the bottom of the pan. If the sauce seems too thick, you can add a little extra water.
- Stir in the heavy cream and sour cream.
- Add the pork chops and simmer for about 10 – 15 more minutes, or until the chops are cooked thoroughly.
- Sprinkle with the chopped green onions and serve over egg noodles or fettuccine noodles.
Keywords: pork chops, smothered pork chops
PIN IT to make later!
Have a delicious day!