Take those squash you’re using if your fall home decor, and turn them into delicious and healthy side dishes! Here’s how to roast squash and pumpkins…it’s so easy!
Now that Halloween is wrapped up, it’s time to have a look at those squash and pumpkins you have been using for decoration. Instead of seeing them as fall decor, it’s now time to see them as a delicious ingredient for dinner or in fall baking!
Fall squash and pumpkins have several uses!
I bought acorn squash, butternut squash, sugar pumpkins and kabocha squash for my festive decorating, but I also had another use for them in the back of my mind.
Turn decor into deliciousness!
Most squash and pumpkins last for quite sometime, so I knew that I would be able to use them for a number of things like flower arrangements, candle holders, and also cooking! Squash and pumpkin are sooooo nutritious and delicious…perfect as a simple side dish, or in pies, soups, loaves, and baked oatmeal.
What to do with them? Roast them. Serve as a side dish at dinner. Or puree them then bake with the puree. Yum.
Recipes for your pumpkin or butternut squash puree in recipes:
Now that you have all that puree, here are some delicious recipes to try.
- Pumpkin Spice Loaf
- Pumpkin Bundt Cake
- Pumpkin Pie
- Baked Pumpkin Spice Oatmeal
- Pumpkin Pie Pancakes
- Roasted Tomato & Pumpkin Soup
- Pumpkin Biscuits
How to Roast Squash and Pumpkin
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 90 minutes
- 1 squash or sugar pumpkin
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut the squash or sugar pumpkin in half, then scrape out the seeds and stringy bits.
- Place each half into a baking dish, cut side up (like in the pictures), then add some water to the bottom of the pan.
- Add 1 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp brown sugar into the centre of each half of squash.
- Cover each squash side in tin foil.
- Bake for 1-2 hours. Some take longer than others, depending on the density of the squash. Just check them at the 1 hour mark, to see if the flesh is soft and scrape-able and looks nice and roasted.
- After roasting, scrape the roasted squash from the skin, then puree it with the butter and sugar.
- Now enjoy as a side dish or use the cooled puree in your baking.
Keywords: homemade pumpkin puree, roasted pumpkin, roasted squash
Simple. Delicious. Nutritious.