A classic recipe for Apple Crisp. Baked chopped apples topped with a mixture of oats and brown sugar. Excellent for breakfast or dessert and definitely with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
Sometimes there is just nothing better than a good old fashioned dessert like Apple Crisp. It’s sweet, creamy, apple-y and cinnamon-y. Yes. Please. And I will eat it for breakfast too. But only after the kids are in school so that I don’t have to share…oops, did I say that out loud? 😉
Crisps are my go to dessert. They’re easy to make and they are so versatile…you can use any fruit you have around for crisps…apples, peaches, rhubarb. In fact, the ripe fruit that no one wants to eat is perfect for putting into crisps.
But apple crisp is definitely our favourite…soft baked apples with a buttery warm cinnamon oat topping. So good. It tastes like an apple pie only it’s much easier to make.
A classic recipe for Apple Crisp. Baked chopped apples topped with a mixture of oats and brown sugar. Excellent for breakfast or dessert and a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
- 5 apples, peeled and chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 – 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup water or apple juice
- 2/3 cup flour
- 2/3 cup rolled oats
- dash salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In one bowl mix together the chopped apples, lemon juice, sugar and water.
- Let the apple mix rest while you make the crumble topping. Make sure to stir it a couple of times.
- While the apple mix is resting, in a separate bowl combine the flour, oats, salt and sugar.
- Pour the melted butter over the oat mix, and stir to combine.
- Transfer the apple mix to an oven proof dish (a 1.6L casserole dish works great).
- Crumble the oat mix on top of the apples. Do NOT stir.
- Bake uncovered, for 40 minutes.
Keywords: apple crisp, fall dessert, crisp recipe
Apple Crisp Recipe Tips!
- For extra nutrition you can add chopped nuts, hemp hearts or wheat germ to your crumble topping mixture (before baking).
- This recipe can be served warm or cold. And with cream, whip cream or ice cream!
- Apple Crisp is the perfect dessert to go with Roasted Chicken!
- I almost always only use MacIntosh apples for my apple crisps.
NOTE: This post was originally published in 2011, and I have recently updated it with new photos. But it’s the same great recipe, just with new images. Enjoy!