Have this Rhubarb Crisp Dessert on your table in under 1 hour. It’s tart, sweet and so delicious! Serve with vanilla ice cream.
– – – – – –
It’s Rhubarb season again! I love when I can find fresh rhubarb in the markets, or even better when I can harvest from my own plant! Living in the city, I used to think we couldn’t have a rhubarb plant, but that’s just silly. Even though we don’t have a traditional garden, I can still grow rhubarb. In fact, last summer I planted rhubarb in a large deck pot, and much to my surprise it came up again this year, bigger and better than ever! So I’m happily baking away with it.
I often pair rhubarb with strawberries in pies, jam, tarts, muffins and cakes, but this time I wanted a rhubarb only dessert. Just the sweet and tart flavour goodness of rhubarb, not masked by any berries or anything else. So I made this Rhubarb Crisp, and it was exactly what I hoped for. The sweet crunch oat crumble layer on top of a sweet, tart rhubarb filling. SO delicious.
This is a perfect dessert for any day of the week, and it’s also a great option for when you have friends or family over for dinner. It’s simple to make, and is a crowd pleaser! I hope you enjoy it! Serve with vanilla ice cream.
Rhubarb Crisp Dessert
- 5 cups fresh rhubarb cut into small pieces
- 3/4 - 1 cup sugar you decide how sweet you want it
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp flour
Oat Crumble Topping:
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In an oven proof dish, mix together the rhubarb, sugar, water and flour. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the oats, flour, salt, sugar and butter.
- Then spread oat crumble mix on top of the rhubarb.
- Bake for 45 - 50 minutes.
- Let rest. I think it's best served after it has sat for about 30 minutes to an hour.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream and enjoy!
Have a delicious day!