These Gluten Free Strawberry Cupcakes with Strawberry Buttercream are moist, rich and bursting with strawberry flavour. The addition of fresh strawberry puree to both the cupcake and the icing makes these cupcakes ah-mazing. No need for artificial colouring or flavouring when you have fresh berries around!
Every once in a while I need a cupcake. It just has to be done. I need a moist yummy caked topped with copious amounts of rich buttercream icing. Yum.
So because I felt like it, I made some. Why not? Why save cupcakes for special occasions? Sometimes a Tuesday night is special enough. 😉
Oh these cupcakes. Let me tell you about these cupcakes. They’re most, rich & bursting with flavour. The addition of fresh strawberry puree to both the cupcake and the icing makes these cupcakes ah-mazing! No need for artificial colouring or flavouring when you have fresh berries around!
Even if you aren’t gluten free, these are worth making. Don’t be afraid of making these…the ingredients are not complicated. The only items that you may not have in your pantry are the coconut flour and coconut oil. You can find coconut flour in most grocery stores (in Canada it’s super cheap at Bulk Barn), and the coconut oil you can find anywhere (it’s cheapest and most delicious from Costco).
Also, you might have noticed the ‘fancy’ cupcake liners that I used here (I use that term lightly). Often gluten free cupcakes and muffins stick to regular muffin liners (and I mean stick, like half the muffin sticks to the paper), so it is recommended that you use parchment paper liners. I didn’t have any around so I figured you could make your own right? But of course…guess who’s got a really simple tutorial for making your own? Martha. Of course. You can find the simple tutorial here. I followed it, but made my squares quite a bit smaller. I like the effect of them – kind of pretty meets rustic.
Anyway, I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did!Print
- 1/2 cup of coconut flour
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup of coconut oil
- 1/2 cup of honey
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup pureed fresh strawberries
Strawberry Buttercream Icing
- 2 tbsp fresh strawberry puree
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 3/4 cups icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Making the Strawberry Cupcakes:
- Combine the coconut flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a mixer combine the eggs, coconut oil, honey and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add the flour mix to the egg mixture and blend well.
- Stir in the strawberry puree.
- Fill your cupcake liners about 3/4 full of batter.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Cool completely before frosting.
Making the Strawberry Buttercream Icing:
- Puree about 4 strawberries, then measure out 2 tbsp. Set aside.
- Sift icing sugar.
- In a mixer, beat butter until soft and fluffy.
- Add sifted icing sugar, and mix until well combined.
- Add vanilla and strawberry puree.
- Then ice your cupcakes after they have cooled, and garnish with a little slice of fresh strawberry.
Recipe adapted from Comfy Belly