A Strawberry Cream Tart recipe with a buttery shortbread crust, creamy vanilla filling and fresh strawberry topping! Delicious.
If you’re looking for a showstopper dessert that everyone will love, then you should make this Strawberry Cream Tart! It’s not hard to make and the flavour is amazing.
Perfect for any occasion!
This Strawberry Cream Tart is a wonderful dessert for any occasion…Mother’s Day, birthdays or any time you feel like a creamy and delicious strawberry dessert! You can’t beat a buttery shortbread crust topped with a creamy vanilla filling and fresh strawberries. So good.
About the Ingredients:
- Strawberries: Use fresh strawberries.
- Sour Cream: You can also use Greek yogurt.
Strawberry Cream Tart Recipe Tips:
- Make the tart in this order:
The recipe is split into 3 parts, so make it in this order:
- The Crust
- Cream Filling
- Strawberries and Sauce
- Making the crust: I like to use my food processor to make the crust. It’s so simple and turns out beautifully.
- Pan size: Use a 10-inch tart pan. I like to use tart pans with a removable bottom, it makes taking the tart out so easy!
- Pressing the crust into the tart pan: To prevent the custard filling from spilling out of the pan, when pressing the crust dough into the pan, make the sides slightly higher than the centre. To do this, press the mixture up towards the edge of the pan, which creates a slight indentation in the centre of the tart pan.
- To Chill or Not to Chill. You can serve this tart pretty soon after you make it, but I do prefer to let it chill in the fridge for about 30 minutes to an hour before I cut into it…the warmer this tart is, the more likely the pieces are to fall apart when you cut it.
- Can I make it ahead? Yes! You can make this a day ahead of when you want to serve it. If you are worried about adding the strawberry sauce too soon, make the crust and filling ahead of time then add the fresh strawberries and sauce right before you serve it.
Strawberry Cream Tart
A Strawberry Cream Tart recipe with a buttery shortbread crust, creamy vanilla filling and fresh strawberry topping! The recipe is split into 3 parts: Crust, Cream Filling and Strawberries and Sauce…so make each in that order.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cooling Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- Yield: 12 slices 1x
- Category: Tart
The Shortbread Crust:
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into chunks
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 large tart pan (ten inch)
The Cream Filling:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp corn starch
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sour cream
Strawberries & Sauce:
- 3 cups of strawberries
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp corn starch
The Shortbread Crust:
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a food processor, process the flour, sugar and salt for about 10 seconds.
- Then add the chunks of butter and process until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs.
- Add the egg yolk and process again until the egg is thoroughly combined.
- Press the mixture into a 10 inch tart pan (making the sides slightly higher than the centre) and bake for about 15-18 minutes. Make sure to prick the tart with a fork several times while baking, and watch it carefully.
- Remove from tart pan and cool.
- Set aside.
The Cream Filling:
- In a saucepan mix together sugar, corn starch, flour and salt.
- Then stir in the cream and vanilla, turning the stove to medium heat. Stir constantly and bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Stir until thick.
- Adding the egg: you don’t want to add the egg directly to the hot cream mixture or it will cook/curdle. So take a little of the hot mixture (about 1/4 cup) and let it cool slightly for a few minutes, then whisk this warm cream with the eggs. Mix well.
- Then return this mixture to the saucepan, stir, and bring to a boil. Continue to stir constantly.
- Remove the filling from heat, let cool slightly then add the sour cream and mix well. I used a hand blender to make a creamy consistency.
- Now it’s time to chill the creamy filling: To chill, I cover with tightly with plastic wrap, creating a seal on the filling mixture, then put it in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
The Strawberry Topping:
- Cut 2 1/2 cups of strawberries into quarters. Set aside.
- Take the other 1/2 cup of strawberries and puree. I used a hand blender to do this.
- Put the strawberry puree and water into a saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- In a separate bowl, combine sugar and corn starch. Then add this to the strawberry puree.
- Stir constantly until sauce thickens. Set aside to cool.
- Once the sauce has cooled, pour it over the cut strawberries, and mix well.
Putting the Strawberry Cream Tart Together:
- Pour the cream filling mixture into the baked and cooled tart shell.
- Add the strawberries mixture.
- Let rest for 30 minutes then serve. Or if you would like to serve it chilled, put it in the fridge for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
Keywords: strawberry tart, cream tart
PIN IT to make later!
Have a delicious day!