This Lemon Tart with a Shortbread Cookie Crust is garnished with edible Pansies to make a showstopper dessert! Easy and beautiful!
Have you ever considered decorating your desserts with edible flowers? Adding pretty petals from edible flowers like pansies, marigolds and cornflower, takes a tart, cupcake or cake to the next level of gorgeousness. And it’s SO simple to do.
I’ve always been drawn to cakes and tarts all adorned in lovely fresh flowers, so I don’t know why I don’t do this at home, especially for special occasions. I mean seriously, is there any easier way to decorate a dessert than to sprinkle some pretty edible flowers over a tart or cake?
So this past weekend, after a very trying and very emotional week, my daughter baked this gorgeous lemon tart. It’s funny because the night before as I was laying in bed I decided to make a lemon tart to share with you as part of my edible flower series here on the blog. And would you believe it, when I got home the next day from an outing, my daughter had baked a lemon tart…without me having said anything about wanting to make one!! My daughter and I are often on the same wavelength, so it really shouldn’t have come as a surprise to me, but I was pretty shocked at the coincidence!!
What a beautiful and delicious tart it is! And it’s the perfect canvas for some gorgeous edible pansies…the most simple and pretty way to take this tart to superstar status. Lovely.
This lemon tart tastes like sunshine! Sweet, tart lemon flavour with a buttery sweet and delicious shortbread cookie in every bite. So good.Print
This Lemon Tart with a Shortbread Cookie Crust is garnished with Pansies to make a showstopper dessert! Easy and beautiful!
Lemon Tart Filling:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- juice from 1 lemon (about 1/4 cup)
- zest from 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- dash of salt
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp butter, at room temperature
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
The Shortbread Cookie Crust:
- In your food processor, pulse the flour, sugar, salt and butter until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs. This should only take about 30 seconds.
- Press the crumbly mixture into a 10 inch tart pan (making the sides slightly higher than the centre. Do this by pressing the mixture up towards the edge of the pan).
- Bake the crust for about 15 minutes, or until the edges are lightly golden brown. Make sure to watch it carefully to make sure the crust doesn’t burn.
- Once the crust has finished baking, remove it from the oven and set it aside to cool completely.
Lemon Tart Filling:
- In a saucepan whisk together the sugar and the egg until smooth.
- Stir in the melted butter, fresh lemon juice, and lemon zest, and cook on low-medium heat, whisking often.
- Whisk and cook until the lemon curd glaze thickens, about 15 – 20 minutes.
- If needed, you can use a hand blender to make the lemon filling more creamy in consistency.
Putting your tart together:
- Once the tart crust and the lemon filling have cooled completely you can put together your tart!
- Spread the lemon cream filling on to the crust, to about a 1/4 inch from the edge.
- Chill for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Right before serving, garnish the tart with organic pansies for a show-stopper dessert!
- Category: Dessert
Keywords: tart, lemon curd, shortbread crust
Watch the video!
– – – – – –
– – – – – –
More Delicious Tart Recipes:
- Strawberry Cream Tart
- Lemon Meringue Tart
- Raspberry & Vanilla Cream Tarts
- Coconut Cream Tarts
- Maple Cream Tarts
Have a delicious day!