Lemon Cream Fruit Tart with a Shortbread Cookie Crust. This fresh fruit tart has the most scrumptious buttery shortbread cookie crust, and tart lemon cream. It’s fresh, springy and so delicious!
This fresh fruit tart has the most scrumptious buttery shortbread cookie crust, and tart lemon cream. You need to make it. No really, you do…you’ll love it!
This Lemon Cream Fruit Tart with a Shortbread Cookie Crust is a delicious dessert for any occasion! Don’t be intimidated – tarts are way easier than they look, I promise! Especially when you can make the crust in a food processor.
Use your food processor to make the crust!
I like to use my food processor to make the crust for this tart, it’s just so easy. I put everything into the processor and pulse it until the mixture is like coarse sand. Then I press it into a tart pan…so simple.
Add your favourite fruits!
The best thing about making a fresh fruit tart is that you can choose to use what ever kind of fruit you love. Have fun with it, and add all of your favourites…kiwis, strawberries, bananas, raspberries, peaches…the possibilities are endless!
- Making the crust: I like to use my food processor to make the crust. It’s so simple and turns out beautifully.
- Pressing the crust into the tart pan: To prevent the custard filling from spilling out of the pan, when pressing the crust into the pan, make the sides slightly higher than the centre. To do this, press the mixture up towards the edge of the pan, which creates a slight indentation in the centre of the tart pan.
- Fruit Options: You can use any of your favourite fruits for toppings. Here are some examples: strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, kiwis, peaches, bananas…the possibilities are endless.
- Glaze Option: If you like you can brush on a glaze to the top of the fruit on your tart. This is also a great option if you are not going to serve this tart immediately, because it helps to not allow the fruit to dry out. Just melt about 3 tbsp of jelly (like apricot), and brush the fruit lightly with the jelly.
Lemon Cream Fruit Tart
This fresh fruit tart has the most scrumptious buttery shortbread cookie crust, and tart lemon cream. It’s fresh, springy and so delicious!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 8 -10 1x
- Category: Dessert
The Shortbread Cookie Crust:
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 cup butter, cut into chunks
- pinch salt
Lemon Pastry Cream:
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 1/3 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- zest from 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Sliced fruit such as strawberries (kiwis, peaches, nectarines)
- Other fruit such as raspberries (blueberries)
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
The Shortbread Cookie Crust:
- In your food processor, process the flour, sugar, butter and salt until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs.
- Press the crumbly mixture into a 10 inch tart pan, making the sides slightly higher than the centre…do this by pressing the mixture up towards the edge. Then bake the crust for about 15-18 minutes. Watch it carefully to make sure the crust doesn’t burn – the edges should look light golden brown.
- After it has baked, remove the cookie crust from tart pan and set it aside to cool.
Lemon Pastry Cream:
- In your food processor (or you can use a stand mixer), mix the egg yolks, 1/3 cup sugar and corn starch until smooth. Set aside.
- Then in a sauce pan on medium-high heat, whisk together the milk, 1/4 cup sugar, lemon zest and fresh lemon juice. It may curdle, but don’t worry it will all come together, just keep whisking!
- Slowly add the egg mixture to the milk mixture in the saucepan, whisking constantly.
- As you are whisking, bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat. Continue to whisk until thick (not too thick, as the mixture will thicken as it cools – I remove it from the heat when it resembles pudding).
- Add the vanilla, and stir.
- Remove from heat, and cool completely. You may want to press a piece of saran wrap or wax paper to the top of the lemon cream to prevent a crust/film from forming.
- Set aside.
Putting your tart together:
- Slice your fruit.
- Once the tart crust and the lemon filling have cooled completely you can put together your tart!
- If needed, you can use a hand blender to make your lemon cream more creamy in consistency.
- Spread the lemon cream filling on to the crust, to about a 1/4 inch from the edge.
- Add your fruit.
- Serve immediately, or chill before serving (see notes).
If you are not going to serve this tart immediately, you can add a glaze to the top of your tart. Just melt about 3 tbsp of jelly (like apricot), and brush the fruit lightly with the jelly.
Keywords: tart, cream tart, lemon tart
This tart is fresh, springy and so delicious!
Thank you for PINNING!
More Delicious Tart Recipes:
- Strawberry Cream Tart
- Lemon Meringue Tart
- Raspberry & Vanilla Cream Tarts
- Coconut Cream Tarts
- Maple Cream Tarts