Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Make this Broccoli Cheddar Soup for dinner tonight with simple ingredients you likely already have in your pantry! Creamy, cheesy and tastes so flavourful. Ready in less than 1 hour.
Tis’ the season for soup…delicious, comforting fall soups. And I’m here for it. If you also love soup and are looking for an easy and super flavourful recipe, this Broccoli Cheddar Soup is for you!
Simple Fresh Ingredients.
Made with simple ingredients of fresh broccoli, cheddar cheese, carrots, potatoes, onions, garlic, celery, cream, stock and cheese, this broccoli cheese soup doesn’t get any more delicious. And they’re all ingredients that you may have in your pantry right now, so you can have dinner taken care of tonight!
Ready in less than 1 hour!
And did I mention that this soup can be ready and on the table in less than 1 hour? Yes. Who doesn’t love a quick and delicious dinner?! When life gets busy and everyone is hungry, recipes like this are so helpful.
Perfect for Dinner or Lunch.
This soup is rich and creamy, making it hearty enough as a stand alone meal. And it’s wonderful for dipping biscuits, crusty bread or with fresh homemade bread! I hope you love it.
Broccoli Cheddar Soup Recipe Tips
- Broccoli: Use fresh broccoli florets and use the stalks of the broccoli too, they’re delicious! Just include them as part of the 5 heaping cups of chopped broccoli. You can use fresh or frozen broccoli for this recipe.
- Cream: I have half and half cream listed as an ingredient, but you can use milk instead, like 2% or whole milk. Sometimes I use a mixture of heavy cream and milk. I don’t recommend using skim milk or low fat milk.
- Broth: You can use vegetable broth or chicken broth.
- Cheese: Use a flavourful cheese like a sharp cheddar cheese.
- Do you want chunky soup? If you want chunks of broccoli in your soup, use a slotted spoon to remove about 1 cup (more if you like) of the broccoli and set it aside to add later (don’t worry if you scoop up some vegetables too), then puree the remaining soup. If you don’t want chunks of broccoli, just puree the entire batch of soup until it’s a smooth texture.
- Easiest way to blend: I use an immersion / hand blender to blend this soup, but you can use a stand blender too.
- Leftovers: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave.
- Freezing: This soup freezes well. Store in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- What if the soup is not thick? You can create a cornstarch slurry to add, or make a flour roux of equal parts flour and butter, to thicken it up.
What to serve with Broccoli Cheddar Soup:
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Make this Broccoli Cheddar Soup for dinner tonight with simple ingredients you likely already have in your pantry! Creamy, cheesy and so flavourful. Ready in less than 1 hour!
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1 large potato (peeled and chopped)
- 3 carrots (peeled and chopped)
- 1 celery stalk (chopped)
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 L vegetable broth (4 cups)
- 5 heaping cups of chopped broccoli
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup half and half cream (or whole milk)
- In a large soup pot melt the butter. Add the chopped onions, garlic, potato, carrots and celery. Sauté until soft.
- Add the flour to the veggie mixture, stir and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth and simmer on low-medium heat for about 5 minutes. Stir and simmer until the soup starts to thicken.
- Add the chopped broccoli and simmer for 5 more minutes, just until the broccoli is tender.
- NOTE: If you want chunks of broccoli in your soup, using a slotted spoon remove about 1 cup (more if you like) of the broccoli and set it aside for later (don’t worry if you scoop up a few veggies too).
- Use an immersion blender to blend the remaining soup until it is smooth.
- Now add the cream and mix well. Simmer for about 5 minutes, making sure whisk continuously.
- Stir in the cheese and mix until it has fully melted, this takes a few minutes.
- Mix in the remaining broccoli that you had set aside.
- Serve with extra shredded cheese if you like, and enjoy!
Keywords: broccoli cheddar soup, broccoli soup
More Delicious Fall Soup Recipes to Try!
PIN IT to make later!
Have a delicious day!